Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Default Andersen vinyl windows

On the North side of my house I have Andersen bay windows that tend to get
mildewy from the humidity and lack of direct sun. I have the house washed
every year including windows but I've notice that the mold stains are
visible from inside the house. In other words, the Andersen windows are
white vinyl clad, and mold is underneath the outside vinyl where it overlaps
the glass so it is visible from the inside of the house when you look thru
the window. But there is no way of touching that vinyl since that surface
is against the glass. Any suggestions on cleaning it?

I can't say that I am a fan of Andersen vinyl clad windows. On the north
side of the house they get moldy. On the south the sun had yellowed the
vinyl and made the vinyl almost brittle. The house is only 9 years old.

Posted to alt.home.repair
autonut843

Don't try this until someone else gives their thoughts on it.
What if you pressure washed the outside with a mild bleach solution?
If the water already was able to get there, then the bleach solution
may be able to get to the same places that the moisture that caused the
mold got to and whiten it up.
Does anybody see any problems with this solution?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen

"autonut843" writes:

Don't try this until someone else gives their thoughts on it.
What if you pressure washed the outside with a mild bleach solution?
If the water already was able to get there, then the bleach solution
may be able to get to the same places that the moisture that caused the
mold got to and whiten it up.
Does anybody see any problems with this solution?

Ever use a pressure washer?

Do you really want to get bleach everywhere?

Sorry, no opinion about the OPs problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair
autonut843

Good point. Thanks, I knew there was something I wasn't thinking of.
Wow, that was a really dumb idea.
I've just got a small electric one and have never used the soap
dispenser feature on it, preferring to just use the water pressure
itself.
Glad you caught that one quick.
Well, gotta go. I think I'll surf on over to the darwin awards and see
if anything looks do-able.... ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen

"autonut843" writes:

Good point. Thanks, I knew there was something I wasn't thinking of.
Wow, that was a really dumb idea.
I've just got a small electric one and have never used the soap
dispenser feature on it, preferring to just use the water pressure
itself.
Glad you caught that one quick.
Well, gotta go. I think I'll surf on over to the darwin awards and see
if anything looks do-able.... ;-)

Well, maybe pressure washing with bleach wasn't the best idea,
but your come back is a winner.

Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Vinyl Windows - Am I getting ripped off? kwest Home Repair 15 January 2nd 06 07:24 PM
Vinyl Replacement Windows - Advice ? elvindeath Home Repair 2 November 16th 05 05:36 PM
[OT] Car insurance craziness The Q UK diy 173 August 2nd 03 10:58 PM
Vinyl windows and siding: need to make decision Pat Kiewicz Home Repair 1 July 10th 03 03:09 PM