Posted to alt.home.repair
FireBrick

Default what were those little electrical switches called?

They were little 1" x 3/4" (approximately) switches that you slipped into a
metal bracket and used a small blade screwdriver to bend a retaining tab
into the frame of the switch.
I have one wall outlet, with 3 of those little switches.
don't think they are made anymore and it would be a pain to change them out
to newer.

But...reason I'm searching is I need a brass switch plate to cover them.
the standard 4.5" x 2.75" plate with those 3 little holes.
The plate would be mounted horizontally, the 3 switches would be vertical.

I've searched the fancy cover plate sites with no joy.

All the covers in the house are shiny brass except for this old cheap
plastic cover that customer wants to replace.

He's got a magnet!!! Everybody BACKUP!!!!!!!!

Bill H. in Chicagoland
webcams at http://24.14.49.4:8080
weather at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/w9ol/WX/HH.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
Warren Weber

. ..

--

They were called "Despard" they are still available. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler

They were and still are called Menard switches.
http://www.ilc-usa.com/depardMCS.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can still get them. Try an ACE Hardware, or Menards. Both have
them. I have used them, the switches and pilot lights are good, the
outlets were only 2 prong and I dont see where a ground prong ccould
be put. But yes, you can still get them.

Even though I used them, I never knew what they were called.

PS. Electrical supply houses might be another source, including the
online ones.

Mark

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:14:38 -0600, "FireBrick"
wrote:

They were little 1" x 3/4" (approximately) switches that you slipped into a
metal bracket and used a small blade screwdriver to bend a retaining tab
into the frame of the switch.
I have one wall outlet, with 3 of those little switches.
don't think they are made anymore and it would be a pain to change them out
to newer.

But...reason I'm searching is I need a brass switch plate to cover them.
the standard 4.5" x 2.75" plate with those 3 little holes.
The plate would be mounted horizontally, the 3 switches would be vertical.

I've searched the fancy cover plate sites with no joy.

All the covers in the house are shiny brass except for this old cheap
plastic cover that customer wants to replace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 20:20:50 -0600, "PanHandler"
wrote:

They were and still are called Menard switches.
http://www.ilc-usa.com/depardMCS.html

Menard switches ????? You're joking !!!
Unless you buy them at Menards, right?
They are not called that on the web link you posted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:40:41 -0500, wrote:

They were called "despard" switches. They are still manufactured and
available. Google gives 600 hits for
despard switch

I should have added that there are switches and pilot lights and other
devices that fin any three per gang.

Googling for despard brass plate gives 810 hits including the only
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...87962?n=228013
which is a solid brass plate. This is the only link I followed, but I am
sure there are other sources too.

wrote:

They were little 1" x 3/4" (approximately) switches that you slipped into a
metal bracket and used a small blade screwdriver to bend a retaining tab
into the frame of the switch.
I have one wall outlet, with 3 of those little switches.
don't think they are made anymore and it would be a pain to change them out
to newer.

But...reason I'm searching is I need a brass switch plate to cover them.
the standard 4.5" x 2.75" plate with those 3 little holes.
The plate would be mounted horizontally, the 3 switches would be vertical.

I've searched the fancy cover plate sites with no joy.

All the covers in the house are shiny brass except for this old cheap
plastic cover that customer wants to replace.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler

wrote:

They were and still are called Menard switches.
http://www.ilc-usa.com/depardMCS.html

Menard switches ????? You're joking !!!
Unless you buy them at Menards, right?
They are not called that on the web link you posted.

LOL - My keyboard read my mind wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:48:20 -0500, wrote:

Googling for despard brass plate gives 810 hits including the only
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...87962?n=228013
which is a solid brass plate. This is the only link I followed, but I am
sure there are other sources too.

I've found that adding shipping to the google is a good way to
find pages that sell things.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
FireBrick

Thank you once I found out they were called Despard Switches, I found a
vendor of the proper plates online.