Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert11

Default Nylon vs Dacron Rope For Outdoor Usage ?

Hello:

Will be putting up an outside antenna which will necessitate the use of some
rope on the end to tension it.

Will Nylon braided rope last a "pretty long" time outdoors ?

I know that UV Resistant Dacron Rope is the recommended choice
for outdoor usage, but it sure is a lot more expensive.

BV.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

"Robert11" wrote in message
news
Hello:

Will be putting up an outside antenna which will necessitate the use of
some rope on the end to tension it.

Will Nylon braided rope last a "pretty long" time outdoors ?

I know that UV Resistant Dacron Rope is the recommended choice
for outdoor usage, but it sure is a lot more expensive.

BV.

no. sunlight will degrade it pretty quickly.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Will be putting up an outside antenna which will necessitate the use
of some rope on the end to tension it.

Will Nylon braided rope last a "pretty long" time outdoors ?

I know that UV Resistant Dacron Rope is the recommended choice
for outdoor usage, but it sure is a lot more expensive.

Nylon stretches, dacron doesn't. UV degrades both but nylon goes
faster.

Your best bet is wire as louie suggested. I'd use 7x19 wire for
flexibility.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Will be putting up an outside antenna which will necessitate the use of some
rope on the end to tension it.

Will Nylon braided rope last a "pretty long" time outdoors ?

I know that UV Resistant Dacron Rope is the recommended choice
for outdoor usage, but it sure is a lot more expensive.

BV.

You could go to your local hardware and look at
what the packages of rope say to use. OTOH, if
you go to the hardware store, bypass the rope and
buy wire cable (often sold with a plastic cover as
clothes line). 1/8" wire cable will last a lot
longer than rope.
Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

louie wrote:
Why not a stainless wire-rope (cable)? A 1/8" diameter wire rope with
a breaking strength of 2100 lbs will probably cost around 30-50 cents
per foot (at least where I'm looking - McMaster Carr). That plus a few
clamps would probably do the job. You could probably even buy a
turnbuckle to make tensioning the guywire easy.

It's a lot cheaper than that if you buy it as
clothes line at a variety store or hardware.
Maybe $6 for 25-30 feet, may not be stainless but
most people don't need to last for 30 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Robert11 wrote:

Hello:

Will be putting up an outside antenna which will necessitate the use of some
rope on the end to tension it.

Will Nylon braided rope last a "pretty long" time outdoors ?

I know that UV Resistant Dacron Rope is the recommended choice
for outdoor usage, but it sure is a lot more expensive.

BV.

Hi,
I have Dacron guy wires on my ham radio antenna which is over 10 years
old. No sign of going bad yet. Softer(easier to handle) than Nylon.
Tony, VE6CGX
Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

louie wrote:

Why not a stainless wire-rope (cable)? A 1/8" diameter wire rope with
a breaking strength of 2100 lbs will probably cost around 30-50 cents
per foot (at least where I'm looking - McMaster Carr). That plus a few
clamps would probably do the job. You could probably even buy a
turnbuckle to make tensioning the guywire easy.

Hi,
That's called aircraft cable.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"Robert11" wrote in message
news
Hello:
0
Will be putting up an outside antenna which will necessitate the use of
some rope on the end to tension it.

Will Nylon braided rope last a "pretty long" time outdoors ?

I know that UV Resistant Dacron Rope is the recommended choice
for outdoor usage, but it sure is a lot more expensive.

BV.

One word about rope: fergeddabout it.

And I believe you will need three to triangulate it, right?

If one fails, that means you have two pulling it another direction.

ANY type of rope is not great when exposed to weather and UV rays 24/7.
Freeze/thaw cycles. Ice buildup if you live in that climate. They just
don't last.

I would buy some 1/8" cable and do it with that. DO NOT buy just anything,
like clothesline cable, but buy something decent. It doesn't have to be
stainless, or aircraft quality, either. This is an easy thing to do. Use
Crosby clamps to secure the ends, and buy some good turnbuckles to adjust
it.

Do it once. Do it right.

Steve (an old rigger)