Posted to alt.home.repair
stevie

Default warranties

It seems that most major manufacturers are reducing warranty coverage on new
major appliances (refrigerators, ranges, washer/dryers, etc.). This
includes GE, Whirlpool, Maytag, and many others.

Not sure what previous warranties were, but I believe compressors were at
least warranted for 5 years. It is apparently 1 year for the entire
appliance now.

Evidently, higher priced appliances will not change warranty coverage.

I don't know if Kenmore (Sears) will change warranty terms on their
appliances.

It looks like a really good way to sell extended warranty contracts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

appliances have really been made cheaper, but new ones are more
efficent. they dont last as llong and parts are horrendously expensive.
then again we have become a disposable society. few want to fix
anything.

extended warranties are in general all profit for the seller.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Lowes sells its extended warranties cheap. Typically $99 for 4 addtitional
years of coverage so I've been buying my appliances there lately. Most
stores want $250 or more for same coverage.

"stevie" wrote in message ...
It seems that most major manufacturers are reducing warranty coverage on
new
major appliances (refrigerators, ranges, washer/dryers, etc.). This
includes GE, Whirlpool, Maytag, and many others.

Not sure what previous warranties were, but I believe compressors were at
least warranted for 5 years. It is apparently 1 year for the entire
appliance now.

Evidently, higher priced appliances will not change warranty coverage.

I don't know if Kenmore (Sears) will change warranty terms on their
appliances.

It looks like a really good way to sell extended warranty contracts.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Art wrote:
Lowes sells its extended warranties cheap. Typically $99 for 4
addtitional years of coverage so I've been buying my appliances there
lately. Most stores want $250 or more for same coverage.

And Lows is still making good profit from them.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 20:37:42 GMT, Art wrote:

Lowes sells its extended warranties cheap. Typically $99 for 4 addtitional
years of coverage so I've been buying my appliances there lately. Most
stores want $250 or more for same coverage.

The problem with that is that most appliance failures are either during
the original warranty period or after five years.

Usually if something is going to fail within the first five years, it'll
fail in the first few months.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

My Maytag dishwasher and front loader washing machine, and my Asko
dishwasher all broke after the warranty was over but before an extended
warranty from Lowes would have ended had I bought one. On expensive
appliances like a $1600 refrigerator, and a $1200 dishwasher, if some one
will sell me an additional 4 years coverage for $99 I'll take it considering
that typical repairs these days are around $300.