Posted to alt.home.repair
Schism

Default 110 AC/heater window unit question

I have a small AC / heater that runs off a 110 wall plug, the unit does
not have a remote control and I recently found a remote controled plug
that I can use inbetween the wall and the units power cable, if I use
this is there a chance that it will damage the unit?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Schism" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a small AC / heater that runs off a 110 wall plug, the unit does
not have a remote control and I recently found a remote controled plug
that I can use inbetween the wall and the units power cable, if I use
this is there a chance that it will damage the unit?

What is the rating on the plug? Most are made for lights and may not handle
the heater load. If it does, it will not harm the heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Schism

What is the rating on the plug? Most are made for lights and may not handle
the heater load. If it does, it will not harm the heater.

Well, I haven't decided on one to get yet, was planning to get one off
the net, what rating/plug to you recommend?

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

most remotes are not rated for this use. your device involves a heater
but also a blower motor and a compressor. you will need a remote rated
for probably the 15 to 20 amps of the load of the surge of the
compressor starting up. your device's manual and most codes require the
device be directly plugged into a proper wall outlet. if the remote
fails to provide the proper rated connection overloading it will cause
a poor connection and something in the circuit's gotta give out, from
the device to the remote to the outlet to the circuit breaker.
so how about you change the breaker for that circuit to an arc fault
breaker and that will take some of the the worry out of the remote.
see also:
"The 2002 NEC now requires that all branch circuits serving
receptacles, light fixtures or smoke detectors or any other type of
electrical outlet inside bedrooms must be protected by a new device
called an ARC FAULT BREAKER. This includes any circuit serving a
bedroom and the requirement is requiring that the entire branch circuit
to be ARC FAULT PROTECTED by an arc fault breaker !" this and more at:
http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/homew...welshow.htm#24

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Schism wrote:
What is the rating on the plug? Most are made for lights and may not
handle the heater load. If it does, it will not harm the heater.

Well, I haven't decided on one to get yet, was planning to get one off
the net, what rating/plug to you recommend?

I would not use anything rated for less than 20 amp continuous. I don't
know what kind of surge requirement may be needed.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

See if the remote unit has a rating in "inductive" amperage and be sure it
is greater then the inductive load of your ac/heater

"Schism" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a small AC / heater that runs off a 110 wall plug, the unit does
not have a remote control and I recently found a remote controled plug
that I can use inbetween the wall and the units power cable, if I use
this is there a chance that it will damage the unit?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Schism

What about this one?
http://www.shop.com/op/~Dust_Collect...-12036752#info

It doesn't say buy it seems pretty heavy duty.

The AC is a newer model (less than 6 months old) and the cord has a
leakage current detention interrupter as well, if that makes any
difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

That may do, but they're not giving enough info. Contact the supplier and
get the email address of the manufacturer and check with them. It clearly is
made for an inductive load. Look inside your window unit, usually behind the
grill and see what its electrical amperage draw is. As long as the remote
unit is capable of carrying that amperage, you should be fine. Also, check
at smarthome.com

"Schism" wrote in message
oups.com...
What about this one?
http://www.shop.com/op/~Dust_Collect...-12036752#info

It doesn't say buy it seems pretty heavy duty.

The AC is a newer model (less than 6 months old) and the cord has a
leakage current detention interrupter as well, if that makes any
difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

The heateer could be good, but the remote plug switch might fry.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"Schism" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a small AC / heater that runs off a 110 wall plug, the unit does
not have a remote control and I recently found a remote controled plug
that I can use inbetween the wall and the units power cable, if I use
this is there a chance that it will damage the unit?

What is the rating on the plug? Most are made for lights and may not handle
the heater load. If it does, it will not harm the heater.

Window AC Unit Performance Declining - Tips? Squanklin Home Repair 7 July 20th 06 08:41 PM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Question about window installation.... Keith Home Repair 11 September 8th 05 11:48 PM
Central Air v. Window-unit Air? Nehmo Home Ownership 143 August 20th 05 08:33 AM
LCD film window coverings? Denis Home Ownership 0 March 7th 05 07:31 AM