Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Detecting first recepticle on a circuit

Is there a simple way to figure out which is the first recepticle on a
circuit? I have an older house - the two upstairs rooms are on the same
circuit and are not grouned. Id like to add a GFCI plug on the first
recepticle on that circuit, so every recepticle downstream is
protected.

The brute force method would be to guess which recepticle is the first,
remove the outgoing wires, and test every other outlet for power -
rinse (hook back up the wires), repeat, until ive found the recepticle
that has power and all the others that dont. However this will take
awhile - most arent easily accessible - behind furnitire, beds etc.

I have at my disposal the standard home repair tools - volt meter, etc.

Thanks!

circuit snafu Dicky Home Repair 7 November 6th 05 04:52 PM
Which discrete transistor would you use for a boost circuit? Porky Electronics Repair 17 October 26th 05 05:12 AM
Interesting take on a ring circuit John Rumm UK diy 17 August 18th 05 10:09 PM
Making a %on circuit. Colin Dawson Electronics 0 March 23rd 04 10:36 PM
Is it a radial or ring circuit? Paul UK diy 14 September 4th 03 04:48 PM