Posted to alt.home.repair
old_Boat

Default Duct Question

I was talking to an HVAC professional tonight at a home improvement show. I
have an oil furnace that I want to add a heat pump to so that I can set it
up as a duel fuel system. The problem is that I have 4" supply ducts. I
know, or from what I have read here think, that these are too small for the
new heat pump systems as far as cfm. He told me that since the ducts are in
the outside walls, that he would replace the 4" ducts as far as he could
close to the end of the run with 6" and this would be OK. I think this is
not correct and that leaving the end of the run 4" is not going to make much
of a difference if any to the system. I think that you would need to replace
all the 4"with at least 6". I am trying to do this right by getting
professional answers. Another contractor at the show said that he would
replace them all, but told me that after 30 years in the business, a manual
J was not necessary as he knew what I needed.
Any comments?

Thanks,

LJ

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"old_Boat" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

4" ducts are fine........if you have enough of them.

You really need to have someone do a load calc for you. That way you'll know
what size you need, or how many you need to add, or whatever.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

old_Boat wrote:
[...]

Find someone who will do a manual J.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
old_Boat

That is what I thought, everyone wants to give me a free estimate, but when
I asked them about a manual J they got a stunned look on their faces, like
How do you know what that is. I will keep looking. By the way, I have 2 4"
supply ducts in each room and 4 real big returns located in both ends of the
house but not in each room and one in the basement.

LJ
"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"old_Boat" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

the 11 PAGE PDF design answer is at :
http://www.buildingscience.com/resou...sizing_pro.pdf

lots more technical ventilation info index at:
http://www.buildingscience.com/resou...al/default.htm

Duct Sizing Steve Groulx Home Repair 11 October 12th 05 11:11 PM
Duct Sizing Steve Groulx Home Ownership 0 October 7th 05 03:01 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM
Strange particles from air vent and return air duct sealant question Jack Home Ownership 1 December 2nd 03 05:11 PM