Posted to alt.home.repair
CFster

Default Wait to stain trim?

I just had new "new construction" windows installed, and I have to cut new
interior trim out of pine. My plan is to stain them.

However, being from CT, it's cold up here this time of year and staining in
the house without ventilation probably isn't good for my pregnant wife.

I was thinking of installing the trim now (so we'll have something to hang
our blinds from), and staining in a few months. The trim will be installed
with small trim nails so it shouldn't be a problem to pull it back off.

The interiors of the windows (Anderson) are unfinished pine as well.

Am I hurting anything by waiting a few months?

-CF

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"CFster" wrote in message

The interiors of the windows (Anderson) are unfinished pine as well.

Am I hurting anything by waiting a few months?

Nope.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence

CFster wrote:
However, being from CT, it's cold up here this time of year and staining in
the house without ventilation probably isn't good for my pregnant wife.

I was thinking of installing the trim now (so we'll have something to hang
our blinds from), and staining in a few months. The trim will be installed
with small trim nails so it shouldn't be a problem to pull it back off.

The interiors of the windows (Anderson) are unfinished pine as well.

Am I hurting anything by waiting a few months?

-CF

If you wait it's possible that your trim will get soiled or nicked
during that time especially if you plan to pull it off. It might
therefore be possible that it would look nicer if stained immediatly.

If you can wait to stain then it seems like you might also be able to
wait to install it. Better I think to wait until you are feeling
patient so that you can do a nice job on this important detail. Or, you
could put your wifey up in a nice hotel or spa for a day or two. She
wil probably like the idea .

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

CFster wrote:
I just had new "new construction" windows installed, and I have to cut
new interior trim out of pine. My plan is to stain them.

However, being from CT, it's cold up here this time of year and
staining in the house without ventilation probably isn't good for my
pregnant wife.
I was thinking of installing the trim now (so we'll have something to
hang our blinds from), and staining in a few months. The trim will be
installed with small trim nails so it shouldn't be a problem to pull
it back off.
The interiors of the windows (Anderson) are unfinished pine as well.

Am I hurting anything by waiting a few months?

-CF

I would be concerned that you might handle the trim enough over that
time that the small amounts of oils from your hands will cause uneven
staining. Do you have a garage? Even if you have to "borrow" a friends
garage, I would try to get them stained and finished as soon as possible.
Have you considered putting up some simple rough plain non-milled trim until
summer?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Special Ed

"CFster" wrote in message
I just had new "new construction" windows installed, and I have to cut new
interior trim out of pine. My plan is to stain them.

However, being from CT, it's cold up here this time of year and staining
in the house without ventilation probably isn't good for my pregnant wife.

I was thinking of installing the trim now (so we'll have something to hang
our blinds from), and staining in a few months. The trim will be installed
with small trim nails so it shouldn't be a problem to pull it back off.

The interiors of the windows (Anderson) are unfinished pine as well.

Am I hurting anything by waiting a few months?

-CF

Don't sweat the fumes and your PG wife. Your kid will associate that aroma
with the best time of his life, and grow up to be a great house painter....

Edw.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

It wont be a problem if you keep the wood clean. But why take off the
trim to stain, it is not desireable since you will have a hard enough
time making the pine stain evenly, you dont want to stain pieces
different darkness, you dont remove the window to stain it, right.. You
will need a Pre Stain , like from Bix to get pine to not look like crap.
Leave wood on and pre stain first.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

CFster wrote:
I just had new "new construction" windows installed, and I have to cut new
interior trim out of pine. My plan is to stain them.

However, being from CT, it's cold up here this time of year and staining in
the house without ventilation probably isn't good for my pregnant wife.

I was thinking of installing the trim now (so we'll have something to hang
our blinds from), and staining in a few months. The trim will be installed
with small trim nails so it shouldn't be a problem to pull it back off.

The interiors of the windows (Anderson) are unfinished pine as well.

Am I hurting anything by waiting a few months?

-CF

put your wife in the basement and stain it now. Of course getting a
pregnant wife to follow any requests would be quite a job :P And
considering their hypersensitivity to smess and whatever else they
choose to be sensitive too, it could be hazardous to *your* health.

Honestly, I would find a way to do it now. its likely te stain wont be
as nice several months from now.

Of course if you wont stain with a pregnant wife, you wont stain with a
newborn either...

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies

"CFster" wrote in message
I just had new "new construction" windows installed, and I have to cut new
interior trim out of pine. My plan is to stain them.

However, being from CT, it's cold up here this time of year and staining
in the house without ventilation probably isn't good for my pregnant wife.

What's she pregnant with -- something that isn't going to be living in your
house in a few months?

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

Even with small nails, some will pull through if you try to remove it
causing additional marks where you fill the nail holes. Trim is best put up
and left there especially if it is to be stained with a clear finish. With
paint there are all kinds of ways to cover and hide defects and nail holes
but not with stain.

The big problem also is after staining you still need a couple of coats of
varnish or some other clear coat and that should be done in place. I think
the best is to have your wife stay at a friend/relative/hotel for the number
of days you think it will take to get the job done right the first time
because once the baby is born you will still have the problems of fumes and
smells to cope with.

"Lawrence" wrote in message
oups.com...

CFster wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

CFster wrote:
I just had new "new construction" windows installed, and I have to cut new
interior trim out of pine. My plan is to stain them.

However, being from CT, it's cold up here this time of year and staining in
the house without ventilation probably isn't good for my pregnant wife.

I was thinking of installing the trim now (so we'll have something to hang
our blinds from), and staining in a few months. The trim will be installed
with small trim nails so it shouldn't be a problem to pull it back off.

The interiors of the windows (Anderson) are unfinished pine as well.

Am I hurting anything by waiting a few months?

Normally you would put a stain controller on the pine trim to minimize
the blotchiness that happens when staining pine. Since you're
concerned about the fumes, use a spit coat of shellac. Many benefits
in your situation.

http://www.woodworking-news.com/wood...-shellac.shtml

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 10 Feb 2006 04:14:29 -0800, "Lawrence"
wrote:

If you wait it's possible that your trim will get soiled or nicked
during that time especially if you plan to pull it off. It might
therefore be possible that it would look nicer if stained immediatly.

If you can wait to stain then it seems like you might also be able to
wait to install it. Better I think to wait until you are feeling
patient so that you can do a nice job on this important detail. Or, you
could put your wifey up in a nice hotel or spa for a day or two. She
wil probably like the idea .

I had a friend who was getting married and movign into her husband's
house, that they were going to remodel. Well the only night that they
didn't use birth control was their wedding night, and she got
pregnant. Instead of after the remodeling was done. He probably had
lead paint on window trim, that they woudl remove, so she ended up
living in her old house for months, and they would mostly only see
each other when they met at hardware stores to pick out hinges etc..
He hurried to get the paint removal done before the baby was born. I
think he succeeded, and his wife moved into the house again.

What's particularly funny about this one is that she was a "sex
counselor" at a college. Well they probably called her a
"reporductive health counselor". They had a basketful of free
condoms in the waiting room. Anyhow, she would meet lots of girls who
claimed they had only had sex once, or once without protection, and
bingo they were pregnant. And my friend always thought they were
lying to save face. And she'd also laughed at stories about couples
where the girl allegedly got pregnant on her wedding night. Yet in
her case she knew that both were true!

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
CFster

"de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies" wrote in message

"CFster" wrote in message
I just had new "new construction" windows installed, and I have to cut new
interior trim out of pine. My plan is to stain them.

However, being from CT, it's cold up here this time of year and staining
in the house without ventilation probably isn't good for my pregnant
wife.

What's she pregnant with -- something that isn't going to be living in
your house in a few months?

In the summer I can open all the windows and ventilate...

-CF

Posted to alt.home.repair
CFster

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
news
CFster wrote:
[...]

For what purpose? Just to hang curtains/blinds?

-CF

Posted to alt.home.repair
CFster

"Special Ed" ed@spl-edu wrote in message
"CFster" wrote in message
[...]

It wont be a stretch for him to be better than me!

-CF

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

CFster wrote:
I just had new "new construction" windows installed, and I have to cut new
interior trim out of pine. My plan is to stain them.

However, being from CT, it's cold up here this time of year and staining in
the house without ventilation probably isn't good for my pregnant wife.

I was thinking of installing the trim now (so we'll have something to hang
our blinds from), and staining in a few months. The trim will be installed
with small trim nails so it shouldn't be a problem to pull it back off.

The interiors of the windows (Anderson) are unfinished pine as well.

Am I hurting anything by waiting a few months?

-CF

Got a garage to work in? Send wife away for a week? Nice to have major
construction finished before baby arrives ) I would cut, stain, apply
one coat of finish, install, fill holes, another coat of finish. Might
be backward, but sounds good. Most of the fumes from stain would be
gone in a day. Water base finish = no fumes to worry about. I
definitely would not install it and take it back down, as it is a lot of
wasted effort and bound to damage something. FWIW, I have seen pine
finished with a sanding sealer, no stain, and it was gorgeous. Don't
know the brand.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

CFster wrote:
[...]

Dust, cigarette smoke, opening and closing curtains and or blinds,
cleaning windows opening and closing windows. It does not take much to
cause a problem when finishing.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

how to choose wood stain Melissa Home Repair 12 August 3rd 05 03:10 PM
Stain Matching: A Better Way? (Long) Mr Fixit eh Woodworking 12 March 18th 05 02:36 AM
Hood Wiping Wood Stain Test Rumpty Woodworking 4 November 26th 04 01:33 AM
acid stain concrete WHoME? Home Repair 8 August 5th 04 03:05 AM
stain or knot? David Woodworking 3 August 4th 04 03:41 AM