Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Default Wait to stain trim?

CFster wrote:
I just had new "new construction" windows installed, and I have to cut new
interior trim out of pine. My plan is to stain them.

However, being from CT, it's cold up here this time of year and staining in
the house without ventilation probably isn't good for my pregnant wife.

I was thinking of installing the trim now (so we'll have something to hang
our blinds from), and staining in a few months. The trim will be installed
with small trim nails so it shouldn't be a problem to pull it back off.

The interiors of the windows (Anderson) are unfinished pine as well.

Am I hurting anything by waiting a few months?

-CF

Got a garage to work in? Send wife away for a week? Nice to have major
construction finished before baby arrives ) I would cut, stain, apply
one coat of finish, install, fill holes, another coat of finish. Might
be backward, but sounds good. Most of the fumes from stain would be
gone in a day. Water base finish = no fumes to worry about. I
definitely would not install it and take it back down, as it is a lot of
wasted effort and bound to damage something. FWIW, I have seen pine
finished with a sanding sealer, no stain, and it was gorgeous. Don't
know the brand.