Posted to alt.home.repair

Default combining two electrical cricuits

I have two seperate circuits, one for four recessed lights and another
for a chandelier lift. I thought I needed more power for expansion but
has turned out not to be the case. I no longer need these two circuits
to be seperate and would like to combine them into one. I have ran out
of room in my panel and was wondering if I could combine these two
circuits by putting the two wires into one circuit breaker? Or, should
I use a junction box two combine the two lines and a cable from the
panel to feed the junction box?

Is there advantage to using one method over another? Or, is it even
permitted to combine two circuits at a circuit breaker?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
nhurst

One option would be to get one of those breakers that has two circuits
on one breaker. No junction boxes, no double-wiring, and one free slot
in the breaker box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

for future expansion there are thin breakers, enabling you to double
the number of circuits.

never put 2 wires under 1 screw, its a fire hazard. contact isnt good
can overheat

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
for future expansion there are thin breakers, enabling you to double
the number of circuits.

never put 2 wires under 1 screw, its a fire hazard. contact isnt good
can overheat

The UL listing for a lot of residential breakers allows for 2 conductors OF
THE SAME SIZE, like volts500 said.
Since it is approved by UL just how is this a fire hazard?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

) said...

... I no longer need these two circuits
to be seperate and would like to combine them into one. I have ran out
of room in my panel and was wondering if I could combine these two
circuits by putting the two wires into one circuit breaker?

The simple answer is, "Yes you can" - though the method may vary.

Some breakers are designed so that two wires may be attached to the terminal.
Square D QO type breakers for 15A and 20A circuits are designed this way.

If the breaker is not designed for two wires to attach, you could run a
short pigtail off the breaker and wirenut the two branch circuit wires
to the pigtail.

It is best to avoid such junctions in the panel, but not against code (I
am speaking with knowledge of the CEC, but I don't believe the NEC has
such a prohibition).

In new work, two home runs to a breaker suggests poor planning and, by
extension, sloppy work. However, in an existing panel where limited space
may be an issue, combining two home runs on one breaker (or adding a new
home run and tying it on an existing breaker) is perfectly fine IF:

- there is no restriction on either of the circuits being put on the
one breaker (e.g.: a refrigerator must be on its own circuit), and
- a simple load analysis shows there is the capacity

For a simple load analysis, I add up the wattage of the devices on the
circuit and as long as they don't exceed 80% of the breaker rating, you
are fine. A 15 amp breaker has an 80% rating of 12 amps, which is 1440
watts (assuming 120 volts). For ease of estimating, 1500 watts is the limit
for 15 amps, 2000 watts for 20 amps.

In some specific cases, the actual wattage may be used (e.g.: a double 4'
flourescent fixture counts as 80 watts for this calculation, though with
newer 34 watt tubes, that value is on the high side).

For "general" fixtures, I use 100 watts for light fixtures and 200 watts
for duplex receptacles.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8 Feb 2006 12:43:08 -0800, "volts500" wrote:

wrote:
I have two seperate circuits, one for four recessed lights and another
for a chandelier lift. I thought I needed more power for expansion but
has turned out not to be the case. I no longer need these two circuits
to be seperate and would like to combine them into one. I have ran out
of room in my panel and was wondering if I could combine these two
circuits by putting the two wires into one circuit breaker? Or, should
I use a junction box two combine the two lines and a cable from the
panel to feed the junction box?

No need to do that. NEC allows you to combine the two circuits in the
panel. Remove them from the breakers and wirenut them together with a
pigtail to a breaker. If you have a SQ. D QO panel you can take both
circuit wires to the breaker.

Yes, that is the correct way to do it. Theres plenty room in most
boxes to wirenut them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default combining two electrical crickets

Just hook their legs together and watch for sparks.
Be sure to use wirenuts on their legs.