Posted to alt.home.repair
lodingi

Default i screwed up a thermostat install

hello everyone. i just installed a digital thermostat. while reading
the instructions i missed the sentence telling me to label the wires. i
know. i'm a moron. i assumed they were color coded (i.e. r=red,
o=orange, w=white etc.). can this foul up be salvaged? i greatly
appreciate your help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Clearly, you should have noted the color and letter terminal the wires were
attached to on the old stat. You haven't mentioned what the thermostat is
controlling, however at this point, you'll probably have to determine what
each wire is attached to on the other end

"lodingi" wrote in message
oups.com...
hello everyone. i just installed a digital thermostat. while reading
the instructions i missed the sentence telling me to label the wires. i
know. i'm a moron. i assumed they were color coded (i.e. r=red,
o=orange, w=white etc.). can this foul up be salvaged? i greatly
appreciate your help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
lodingi

it is attached to a forced hot air oil furnace and a central a/c unit.
how do i determine where each wire is attached?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

On the old thermostat is there a jumper between terminals RC and RW?

"lodingi" wrote in message
oups.com...
it is attached to a forced hot air oil furnace and a central a/c unit.
how do i determine where each wire is attached?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

I'm sorry, I meant between RC and RH

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
On the old thermostat is there a jumper between terminals RC and RW?

"lodingi" wrote in message
oups.com...
it is attached to a forced hot air oil furnace and a central a/c unit.
how do i determine where each wire is attached?

Posted to alt.home.repair
lodingi

no there isn't a jumper. the old thermostat has five wires.

RH, G, Y, W, RC

the color of the wires are red, green, yellow, white & orange.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

If there wasn't a jumper between RC and RH, you have a two transformer
system. Two wires will operate the heat and three will operate the cool. The
connections for heat are RH and W. If you touch the red and white wires
together, see if the furnace fires up. If so, connect those two wires to the
new stat rh and w. The green wire should go to the G terminal for the
cooling fan and the yellow should go to Y for the a/c condenser, and
hopefully the orange wire is the RC for the cooling. After connecting the
two heat wires, just touch the orange to the green wire and see if the
blower comes on. If so, I think were good

"lodingi" wrote in message
oups.com...
no there isn't a jumper. the old thermostat has five wires.

RH, G, Y, W, RC

the color of the wires are red, green, yellow, white & orange.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

lodingi wrote:

no there isn't a jumper. the old thermostat has five wires.

RH, G, Y, W, RC

the color of the wires are red, green, yellow, white & orange.

So the ARE color coded? You could hope whoever did the installation
followed conventions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

CJT wrote:

lodingi wrote:

no there isn't a jumper. the old thermostat has five wires.

RH, G, Y, W, RC

the color of the wires are red, green, yellow, white & orange.

So the ARE color coded? You could hope whoever did the installation
followed conventions.

I've used this to advantage in the past:

http://toad.net/~jsmeenen/wiring.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
lodingi

i wired it as you suggested. the blower is running and will not shut
off. the new thermostat came out of the box with a jumper on the RH &
RC terminals. i removed that jumper. should i have done so?

Posted to alt.home.repair
lodingi

the thermostat says my home is at 69 degrees. i set the target temp at
68 degrees. maybe the blower is running to cool the house to 68? or
maybe it's wired wrong? lol.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Yes, you will do damage by leaving the jumper in place. Did the furnace
(heat) work with the red and white wires?
"lodingi" wrote in message
ups.com...
i wired it as you suggested. the blower is running and will not shut
off. the new thermostat came out of the box with a jumper on the RH &
RC terminals. i removed that jumper. should i have done so?

Posted to alt.home.repair
lodingi

yes. when i touched the red & white wires together, the furnace kicked
on.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Anything is possible. The blower could be on from the furnace (heat) or
there should be a "fan" switch which could be turned on

"lodingi" wrote in message
ups.com...
the thermostat says my home is at 69 degrees. i set the target temp at
68 degrees. maybe the blower is running to cool the house to 68? or
maybe it's wired wrong? lol.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Good, when you touched the orange wire to the green wire, did the fan come
on?
"lodingi" wrote in message
oups.com...
yes. when i touched the red & white wires together, the furnace kicked
on.

Posted to alt.home.repair
lodingi

yes the blower turned on. the fan switch is on auto. the temp dropped
to 67 and the furnace is on. i guess i'll wait and see if it turns off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

On the furnace, once it heats up and starts the fan, the fan runs
independently of the thermostat and will continue until the thermostat is
satisfied and the furnace cools down

"lodingi" wrote in message
oups.com...
yes the blower turned on. the fan switch is on auto. the temp dropped
to 67 and the furnace is on. i guess i'll wait and see if it turns off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
lodingi

ok. what if the blower does not turn off?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

take the green wire off of G and see if it stops

"lodingi" wrote in message
oups.com...
ok. what if the blower does not turn off?

Posted to alt.home.repair
lodingi

will do. thank you very much for all your help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

lodingi wrote:

hello everyone. i just installed a digital thermostat. while reading
the instructions i missed the sentence telling me to label the wires. i
know. i'm a moron. i assumed they were color coded (i.e. r=red,
o=orange, w=white etc.). can this foul up be salvaged? i greatly
appreciate your help.

Hi,
Time to go wireless.....,LOL
You have to trace wires to know which is which then you'll be able to
install the new 'stat.