Posted to alt.home.repair
Bryan Martin

Default temp power to location

I need to temporarly get power to a location about 550-600 feet from my
home. It will only need to power a device which has a 12V adaptor using
..5A. Would their be a problem doing this with drop cords paired together?

--
Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Bryan Martin wrote:

I need to temporarly get power to a location about 550-600 feet from my
home. It will only need to power a device which has a 12V adaptor using
.5A. Would their be a problem doing this with drop cords paired together?

Hi,
Deep cycle battery? Or LONG outdoor extension cord.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Bryan Martin wrote:
I need to temporarly get power to a location about 550-600 feet from my
home. It will only need to power a device which has a 12V adaptor using
.5A. Would their be a problem doing this with drop cords paired together?

the builder to my house ran 12Ga with plugs spliced on both ends to the
neighboring house while it was still being built in order to run the
sump pump. NOt sure if thats more or less than an extension cord.

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Since you're only pulling .5 amps, 500 ft of extension cord will work.
Other possible option to get 12Volts, depending on how much you need
and for how long, would be to use a car or similar battery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

yeah .5 amps is nothing even on a 1000 foot extension. Curious what are
you powering?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I once ran 3 20 amp circuits thru what was left of a burned out home as
a temporary service. The existing wiring was toast, and had been done
by a idiot Like finding 2 lengths of romex in a wall, tied together
in a knot, with no box or support. It was a wonder the bad wiring hadnt
caused the fire. cat knocked over lamp.

Had a failling out with our houseguests, they were here 7 months and
got too comfy, they had no insurance for replacement living.

anyhow I heard later their electrician remarked whoever did the
temporary did a good job

I suggest the original poster run a proper line if he figures this may
be needed again in the future