Posted to alt.home.repair
Therod

Default Air compressor problems

I have a Central Neumatic 3 HP 8 Gallon air compressor. It powers up
but when it reaches it's maxm, it shuts off but then all the air begins
to leak out. when it gets to the start up pressure it starts the cycle
all over again.

I also hear that parts for the Central Neumatic are hard to find. Can
anyone help me?

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Therod wrote:

I have a Central Neumatic 3 HP 8 Gallon air compressor. It powers up
but when it reaches it's maxm, it shuts off but then all the air begins
to leak out. when it gets to the start up pressure it starts the cycle
all over again.

I also hear that parts for the Central Neumatic are hard to find. Can
anyone help me?

Where's the leak? If it's coming out through the hose connection, you
could perhaps attach a quick-connect coupling. Is the drain closed?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chub

"Therod" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Central Neumatic 3 HP 8 Gallon air compressor. It powers up
but when it reaches it's maxm, it shuts off but then all the air begins
to leak out. when it gets to the start up pressure it starts the cycle
all over again.

I also hear that parts for the Central Neumatic are hard to find. Can
anyone help me?

where is it leaking from? I would find that and fixit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Al

"Chub" wrote in message

"Therod" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Central Neumatic 3 HP 8 Gallon air compressor. It powers up
but when it reaches it's maxm, it shuts off but then all the air begins
to leak out. when it gets to the start up pressure it starts the cycle
all over again.

I also hear that parts for the Central Neumatic are hard to find. Can
anyone help me?

where is it leaking from? I would find that and fixit.

Sounds to me like the unloader valve is screwed up.

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gideon

I'd guess that about 95% of the time a pressure loss is caused by items
attached to the air compressor rather than the compressor itself.

I own four compressors and all of them can be unplugged and they will
continue to hold pressure for months when not in use. But, they all tend
to lose tank pressure in a day or two when I leave all of my attachments
hooked up to a compressor (dial regulator, air drier, hose reel, hoses,
quick connects, tools, etc.)

I partially solved that problem by attaching a "full port ball valve" as the
very first attachment to each air compressor's output. That is followed
by a quick connect fitting. This gives me the capability of verifying
that a compressor tank is holding pressure. It also allows me to shut
off the compressor outputs when not in use - thereby allowing me to
hold tank pressure since I tend to procrastinate tracking down slow
leaks in attachments.

Obviously, components should be reasonably good quality, should be
attached with Teflon-style tape, and should be leak-tested.

FYI: Hose reels, especially inexpensive bargains versions, are often the
source of pressure losses. O-rings should be lubed and/or replaced on
a periodic basis.

Good luck,
Gideon

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

"Big Al" wrote in message

"Chub" wrote in message

"Therod" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Central Neumatic 3 HP 8 Gallon air compressor. It powers up
but when it reaches it's maxm, it shuts off but then all the air begins
to leak out. when it gets to the start up pressure it starts the cycle
all over again.

I also hear that parts for the Central Neumatic are hard to find. Can
anyone help me?

where is it leaking from? I would find that and fixit.

Sounds to me like the unloader valve is screwed up.

Al

i had exactly the same problem with mine. parts had to come from india, at
about a 10 week time frame. it also uses an odd size that the local
compressor repair place said they couldn't get. after they shipped the wrong
twice, causing a 5 month delay in using my compressor, i purchased an
ingersol-rand one and tossed crappy one from harbor freight.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts