Posted to alt.home.repair
Churchill

Default Be sure to backprime your exterior trim

Exterior trim should be backprimed. This means that the decorative
pieces of wood on the outside of your house should have paint on all
sides before they are attached to the house. Without backpriming, the
wood can absorb moisture, which can cause warping, rotting, and shorter
paint life on the front of the piece of trim.

John Churchill
Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On 3 Feb 2006 14:43:17 -0800, "Churchill"
wrote:

Exterior trim should be backprimed. This means that the decorative
pieces of wood on the outside of your house should have paint on all
sides before they are attached to the house. Without backpriming, the
wood can absorb moisture, which can cause warping, rotting, and shorter
paint life on the front of the piece of trim.

John Churchill
Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com

How fast do they build and sell homes where you live?

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
HeatMan

wrote:

Exterior trim should be backprimed. This means that the decorative
pieces of wood on the outside of your house should have paint on all
sides before they are attached to the house. Without backpriming, the
wood can absorb moisture, which can cause warping, rotting, and shorter
paint life on the front of the piece of trim.

John Churchill
Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com

How fast do they build and sell homes where you live?

It's Georgia, fer crying out loud. Warm in the winter, hot in the summer.
Perfect place for Harvard graduates that don't have a clue.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich

What's a clue?

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Back prime? wake up houses are not built that way , never have been, and
taken care of dont fail from not being Back primed, what a stupid idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Churchill

Calling me "clueless" or my suggestion "stupid" does little to
elucidate the merits of the original assertion. If you have a better
source that denigrates backpriming, other than your conjecture, I'd
love to learn from it.

The Landmark Society of Western New York is the Rochester region's
historic preservation organization. They advocate the following:

"Backprime new [porch] decking..."

"Backprime all [column] base parts and end grain cuts..."

"Backprime all replacement boards..."

Source:
http://landmarksociety.org/section.h...uid=1&pageId=8

Posted to alt.home.repair

its certinally better to backprime, of course you dont have too.

you can just replace more boards sooner If your iunto extra work more
power to you

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS

On 4 Feb 2006 07:11:05 -0800, "Churchill"
wrote:

Calling me "clueless" or my suggestion "stupid" does little to
elucidate the merits of the original assertion. If you have a better
source that denigrates backpriming, other than your conjecture, I'd
love to learn from it.

The Landmark Society of Western New York is the Rochester region's
historic preservation organization. They advocate the following:

"Backprime new [porch] decking..."

"Backprime all [column] base parts and end grain cuts..."

"Backprime all replacement boards..."

Source:
http://landmarksociety.org/section.h...uid=1&pageId=8

Agreed. Ransley, sometimes newer approaches work better than
traditional approaches, and backpriming certainly doesn't hurt, albeit
it costs a little more and takes a little more time. Backpriming is a
conservative way of preservation.
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

It is not done, it had not been done, on the best of houses , buildings,
structures, that are still standing after hundreds if not a thousand
years. Take a trip to Europe to visit 1000 year old buildings. In theory
it might sound better. In fact the wood is outside it may do nothing
since rain hits exposed wood, not the backside. Keep your siding caulked
, painted, and it lasts, let the paint peel and it is garbage in 20
years. Now if you still believe it, figure hand paintings cost of a
truck load of wood before it is installed, just that cost would be
thousands. Just because some historical group says so doesnt mean it is
right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen them do back priming on This Old House. And I've done it
myself. I had a piece of trim molding that was badly warped after only
10 years. When I replaced it, I made sure to back prime it. As far as
adding cost, sure it does. But you only have to paint the back once.
How many times do you have to paint the front and how much does it cost
to replace if it warps and fails?

Now I'm not saying everything has to be back primed, but it's certainly
done sometimes and shouldn't be ridiculed. Compared to some things that
people are willing to pay for, it seems very reasonable to me.