Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe

Default Question about Gas and Weedwackers?

I was advised to always use gasoline that hasn't been sitting around
too long by the repairman when there are problems starting it up.
Does the fuel lose it potency after being mixed with two stoke oil and
if this is so, how long before it needs to be discarded?
Posted to alt.home.repair

What is "potency"?

It can lose volatility- the light-ends can vaporize and leave.

Liquid gasoline cannot burn- vapors burn. So fuel can become
progressively more difficult
to ignite in cylinder.

Keeping the fuel in sealed container, and in cool area, slows the loss.
"How long" is anybody's guess.

I mix a gallon as I need it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

I keep a can mixed, and every 2 or 3 years I have to mix some more. I've
heard that, but never found it to be true. Keep the lid on the can tight.

"Joe" wrote in message
I was advised to always use gasoline that hasn't been sitting around
too long by the repairman when there are problems starting it up.
Does the fuel lose it potency after being mixed with two stoke oil and
if this is so, how long before it needs to be discarded?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"I was advised to always use gasoline that hasn't been sitting around
too long by the repairman when there are problems starting it up.
Does the fuel lose it potency after being mixed with two stoke oil and
if this is so, how long before it needs to be discarded?"

I don't think the fact that it has oil added will make much difference
in terms
of longevity. I would try to use any gas up within a few months. If
you think
it will be sitting around longer than that, then I'd add some gas
stabilizer. Even then,
I'd try to use it up within 6 months or so. A lot depends on what temp
it's stored at.
Keeping it at moderate temps, it will be good longer than if it's in a
hot garage in
summer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
BiloxiBoy

Joe wrote:
I was advised to always use gasoline that hasn't been sitting around
too long by the repairman when there are problems starting it up.
Does the fuel lose it potency after being mixed with two stoke oil and
if this is so, how long before it needs to be discarded?

I use STA-BIL in the boat and for the weedeater and it does a good
job...

From their web site:

STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer should be used in any vehicle or power
equipment that is used infrequently or stored for more than 60 days.
Also, treat fuel in gas cans or storage tanks as soon as purchased so
fuel will stay fresh. STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer ensures quick, easy
starts in all 2 & 4 cycle engines. It is safe to use in all cars,
trucks, SUV's, boat motors, marine engines, tractors, motorhomes,
motorcycles, ATV's, snowmobiles, jet skis, lawnmowers, snow blowers,
tillers, weed trimmers, golf carts, power washers and generators. Use
in gas, gas/oil mixtures, oxygenated fuel, reformulated gas, and diesel
fuel.

One ounce of STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer will keep 2-1/2 gallons of fuel
fresh for 12 months. Using twice the recommended dosage will keep fuel
fresh for up to 24 months.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

Joe,

What you've heard is partially true but shouldn't be that great a
concern as others have pointed out.

Actually, gas over time combines with a little water which does tend to
'weaken' it down but that can cause rust which is the main problem. The
best way to avoid this is to keep your tanks full and cap tight. If
there are no 'air pockets' then you won't have the problem with moisture
combining with the gas. The second problem with 'old' gas is where it
comes in contact with rubber components. It tends to break them down
and gum up your engine jets. The Stab-alize solution that is sold helps
to keep moisture out also but it prevents the gumming problem. It is
more important to get this stabalized solution into the gas tank and
carb of the motor than in your gas can. Hope this explains what you've
heard about.

Joey

Joe wrote:
I was advised to always use gasoline that hasn't been sitting around
too long by the repairman when there are problems starting it up.
Does the fuel lose it potency after being mixed with two stoke oil and
if this is so, how long before it needs to be discarded?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dick

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:30:55 -1000, Joe wrote:

I was advised to always use gasoline that hasn't been sitting around
too long by the repairman when there are problems starting it up.
Does the fuel lose it potency after being mixed with two stoke oil and
if this is so, how long before it needs to be discarded?

I have found that to be true with our Sears weedwacker. After about a
year or so of sitting in the can, it becomes almost impossible to
start if I use that same fuel. Fresh fuel always fixes the problem.
If it isn't mixed yet, I just dump the old fuel in the Jeep to use it
up. Doesn't bother the Jeep because its only a small part of the fuel
in the tank.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Special Ed

"Dick" LeadWinger wrote in message
On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:30:55 -1000, Joe wrote:

I have found that to be true with our Sears weedwacker. After about a
year or so of sitting in the can, it becomes almost impossible to
start if I use that same fuel. Fresh fuel always fixes the problem.
If it isn't mixed yet, I just dump the old fuel in the Jeep to use it
up. Doesn't bother the Jeep because its only a small part of the fuel
in the tank.

Actually, it does-- it gums up the injectors and degrades the spray pattern.
The reason you don't notice it is the engine is so powerful than you can't
perceive the 5% performance decrement. But it does adversely affect it.

Edw.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Special Ed wrote:
"Dick" LeadWinger wrote in message
On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:30:55 -1000, Joe wrote:

I have found that to be true with our Sears weedwacker. After about
a year or so of sitting in the can, it becomes almost impossible to
start if I use that same fuel. Fresh fuel always fixes the problem.
If it isn't mixed yet, I just dump the old fuel in the Jeep to use it
up. Doesn't bother the Jeep because its only a small part of the
fuel in the tank.

Actually, it does-- it gums up the injectors and degrades the spray
pattern. The reason you don't notice it is the engine is so powerful
than you can't perceive the 5% performance decrement. But it does
adversely affect it.

When you mix a half gallon of old gas with twenty gallons of fresh, it
is not a problem and the heavier hydrocarbons are going to be solvated and
run right through not gumming anything up. However you don't want to pour
that half gallon into an almost empty tank of a car.

Edw.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe

A Great Big Thanks to everyone who replied and gave me such good advise

I really appreciate the help -

Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter R.

Here is the story. They should know.
http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...rgas/8_q-a/#22

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Joe" wrote in message
I was advised to always use gasoline that hasn't been sitting around
too long by the repairman when there are problems starting it up.
Does the fuel lose it potency after being mixed with two stoke oil and
if this is so, how long before it needs to be discarded?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Also, when a gas/oil mix sits long enough, a month or more, that
oil and gas actually begin to separate into their heavier and
lighter components. I know a lot of people are goign to say
that's wrong, and I used to think so too, but it's actually. The
mix, but the two, gas and oil, don't actually combine, so they
separate over time.
That's why it's often harder to start a gas-oil mix engine
after it sits for a long time, especially if it hasn't had a good
PM before the first start. Even with a good PM they still start
harder that first time. That's because you usually have to store
them with the carbs down to prevent spillage or fuel leakage, and
the carb bowl tends to have the extra-oiled mix in it.

In addition, Sta-bil actually makes the engines a little harder
to start, in addition to the oil business, whether it's a gas-oil
or just a gas engine. I've used Sta-bil for years, since I
discovered leaving, eg, lawn tractor tanks full over the winter
resulted in better spring starts than emptying and running them
dry. That was more years ago than I care to think about g.
Doubling the amont of recommended Sta-bil also isn't
recommended and it does nothing but waste the stuff. Which also
by the way, has a shelf life of its own once opened. Harder than
acceptable starts can easily result from using too much Sta-bil.
Been there, done that in fact: I always label what I did and when
each spring/summer when I put away/get out the various machinery,
right on the engine wherever there's a cool spot for the label,
so it's not too hard to keep track of.
Sta-bil, if you use enough of it, will actually prevent an
engine from starting, but that takes several times the
recommended amount, so it'd just about have to be done on
purpose.
How'd I get so smart about Sta-bil? I called the 800 number
on their bottles and asked them. They sent me a whole
white-paper on it! Been a faithful customer ever since!

Regards,

Pop
--
Over time, one learns a lot;