Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Default Question about Gas and Weedwackers?

Also, when a gas/oil mix sits long enough, a month or more, that
oil and gas actually begin to separate into their heavier and
lighter components. I know a lot of people are goign to say
that's wrong, and I used to think so too, but it's actually. The
mix, but the two, gas and oil, don't actually combine, so they
separate over time.
That's why it's often harder to start a gas-oil mix engine
after it sits for a long time, especially if it hasn't had a good
PM before the first start. Even with a good PM they still start
harder that first time. That's because you usually have to store
them with the carbs down to prevent spillage or fuel leakage, and
the carb bowl tends to have the extra-oiled mix in it.

In addition, Sta-bil actually makes the engines a little harder
to start, in addition to the oil business, whether it's a gas-oil
or just a gas engine. I've used Sta-bil for years, since I
discovered leaving, eg, lawn tractor tanks full over the winter
resulted in better spring starts than emptying and running them
dry. That was more years ago than I care to think about g.
Doubling the amont of recommended Sta-bil also isn't
recommended and it does nothing but waste the stuff. Which also
by the way, has a shelf life of its own once opened. Harder than
acceptable starts can easily result from using too much Sta-bil.
Been there, done that in fact: I always label what I did and when
each spring/summer when I put away/get out the various machinery,
right on the engine wherever there's a cool spot for the label,
so it's not too hard to keep track of.
Sta-bil, if you use enough of it, will actually prevent an
engine from starting, but that takes several times the
recommended amount, so it'd just about have to be done on
purpose.
How'd I get so smart about Sta-bil? I called the 800 number
on their bottles and asked them. They sent me a whole
white-paper on it! Been a faithful customer ever since!

Regards,

Pop
--
Over time, one learns a lot;
Usually, a lot more than one

"Joey" wrote in message
: Joe,
:
: What you've heard is partially true but shouldn't be that great
: concern as others have pointed out.
:
: Actually, gas over time combines with a little water which does
tend to
: 'weaken' it down but that can cause rust which is the main
problem. The
: best way to avoid this is to keep your tanks full and cap
tight. If
: there are no 'air pockets' then you won't have the problem with
moisture
: combining with the gas. The second problem with 'old' gas is
where it
: comes in contact with rubber components. It tends to break
them down
: and gum up your engine jets. The Stab-alize solution that is
sold helps
: to keep moisture out also but it prevents the gumming problem.
It is
: more important to get this stabalized solution into the gas
tank and
: carb of the motor than in your gas can. Hope this explains
what you've
: heard about.
:
: Joey
:
:
: Joe wrote:
: I was advised to always use gasoline that hasn't been sitting
around
: too long by the repairman when there are problems starting it
up.
: Does the fuel lose it potency after being mixed with two
stoke oil and
: if this is so, how long before it needs to be discarded?