Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default Firewood Sawhorse Cutting Designs

I recently got into cutting wood for my cabin. We went and picked up some
lengths of wood, and cut them.

I had a couple of old sawhorses that I used at first, putting the wood
across the top at a ninety degree angle. But, I had to keep moving the
horses with length, and the smaller lengths were hard to control.

So, I added some "X" pieces for the long pieces of wood to rest in. I
advanced them as I cut off each piece.

Does anyone know of sites that have information or designs for these
"sawhorses" or whatever they are called? I need to make one or three for
the coming season, and I sure need something better than what I scabbed
together.

Thanks.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
GT

Does anyone know of sites that have information or designs for these
"sawhorses" or whatever they are called?

"Sawbuck" IIRC.

HTH GT

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ranieri

"Steve B" wrote in message
I recently got into cutting wood for my cabin. We went and picked up some
lengths of wood, and cut them.

I had a couple of old sawhorses that I used at first, putting the wood
across the top at a ninety degree angle. But, I had to keep moving the
horses with length, and the smaller lengths were hard to control.

So, I added some "X" pieces for the long pieces of wood to rest in. I
advanced them as I cut off each piece.

Does anyone know of sites that have information or designs for these
"sawhorses" or whatever they are called? I need to make one or three for
the coming season, and I sure need something better than what I scabbed
together.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/7279.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tomes

"Ranieri" nah wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message
I recently got into cutting wood for my cabin. We went and picked up some
lengths of wood, and cut them.

I had a couple of old sawhorses that I used at first, putting the wood
across the top at a ninety degree angle. But, I had to keep moving the
horses with length, and the smaller lengths were hard to control.

So, I added some "X" pieces for the long pieces of wood to rest in. I
advanced them as I cut off each piece.

Does anyone know of sites that have information or designs for these
"sawhorses" or whatever they are called? I need to make one or three for
the coming season, and I sure need something better than what I scabbed
together.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/7279.htm

Nice tool. I just put another cut of the log under the remaining length and
move it up along as I go. I also cut on the spot where I find the tree
(versus bringing it somewhere else to cut). It is easier for me to load up
16 inch lengths into my trailer than long logs.
Tomes

Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry

"Steve B" wrote in message
I recently got into cutting wood for my cabin. We went and picked up some
lengths of wood, and cut them.

I had a couple of old sawhorses that I used at first, putting the wood
across the top at a ninety degree angle. But, I had to keep moving the
horses with length, and the smaller lengths were hard to control.

So, I added some "X" pieces for the long pieces of wood to rest in. I
advanced them as I cut off each piece.

Does anyone know of sites that have information or designs for these
"sawhorses" or whatever they are called? I need to make one or three for
the coming season, and I sure need something better than what I scabbed
together.

Thanks.

Steve

Make up three 'Xs' from six scrap 2x4 etc. each piece about four feet (not
critical) and brace them together with scrap lengths of board. Slightly
diagonally!
The middle X is placed off centre nearer to one side. Longer wood placed
across is cut off beyond and between the two X closest together and after
two/three cuts can be moved along, if necessary, and/or other cuts can be
made in the longer length.
Gee this takes longer to describe than making it ....!
Another advantage of open construction is that one can stand midpoint inside
the three X structure, and lift it around you and walk to anew location.
(I'm age 72 by the way).
Can take quite heavy logs and or bunches of scrappy wood which can be cut as
bundle. Cut pieces fall down around 'legs' of the 'saw-horse'.
Good idea to place the braces not too high and where they are least likely
to get cut by the saw.

sawhorse designs Steve B Metalworking 8 January 30th 06 12:48 AM
cutting board John Grossbohlin Woodworking 12 September 24th 04 12:12 AM
Cutting firewood with a table saw ray Woodworking 37 August 8th 04 08:33 PM
The Monkeys are alright! (was : cutting a kitchen worktop) John Biddiscombe UK diy 7 March 23rd 04 11:40 PM