Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg G

Default Light bulb sockets these days.

Am I imagining this, or is there something different about light bulb
sockets or the threads on the bulbs themselves that makes them more
difficult to screw in, and especially remove, than they used to be?
Are the threads made of a different, presumably cheaper, metal? Is it
China's fault?

Being busy, I tend to let the chore of changing bulbs wait until I
find my wife in a miner's helmet with a disapproving look on her face.
So I change a few at a time. What a chore. Recessed fixtures can be
nearly impossible.

Has anybody else noticed this? Any solutions?

Greg Guarino
Posted to alt.home.repair
andy everett

I know what you are thinking. The aluminum might be rougher, metal on
similar metal gives rise to greater friction? Before I screw in a bulb I
rub the bulb end on my greasy and sweaty hair and then smear the body
oil on the aluminum threads. The bulb then screws in smoothly.

Greg G wrote:
Am I imagining this, or is there something different about light bulb
sockets or the threads on the bulbs themselves that makes them more
difficult to screw in, and especially remove, than they used to be?
Are the threads made of a different, presumably cheaper, metal? Is it
China's fault?

Being busy, I tend to let the chore of changing bulbs wait until I
find my wife in a miner's helmet with a disapproving look on her face.
So I change a few at a time. What a chore. Recessed fixtures can be
nearly impossible.

Has anybody else noticed this? Any solutions?

Greg Guarino

Posted to alt.home.repair
newsreader

The ones I hate most are those small bulbs, like used in dining room
candlabra type fixtures. I'v broken off several of the bulb bases in these.
It's those pointy little bulbs with a threaded socket around 3/8" diameter.
Hate em!

"Greg G" wrote in message
news
Am I imagining this, or is there something different about light bulb
sockets or the threads on the bulbs themselves that makes them more
difficult to screw in, and especially remove, than they used to be?
Are the threads made of a different, presumably cheaper, metal? Is it
China's fault?

Being busy, I tend to let the chore of changing bulbs wait until I
find my wife in a miner's helmet with a disapproving look on her face.
So I change a few at a time. What a chore. Recessed fixtures can be
nearly impossible.

Has anybody else noticed this? Any solutions?

Greg Guarino

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

If you notice that it happens mostly on bulbs that have been burnt out for a
while, then possibly humidity is causing corrosion on the base.

"Greg G" wrote in message
news
Am I imagining this, or is there something different about light bulb
sockets or the threads on the bulbs themselves that makes them more
difficult to screw in, and especially remove, than they used to be?
Are the threads made of a different, presumably cheaper, metal? Is it
China's fault?

Being busy, I tend to let the chore of changing bulbs wait until I
find my wife in a miner's helmet with a disapproving look on her face.
So I change a few at a time. What a chore. Recessed fixtures can be
nearly impossible.

Has anybody else noticed this? Any solutions?

Greg Guarino

Posted to alt.home.repair
byron

"Greg G" wrote in message
news
Am I imagining this, or is there something different about light bulb
sockets or the threads on the bulbs themselves that makes them more
difficult to screw in, and especially remove, than they used to be?
Are the threads made of a different, presumably cheaper, metal? Is it
China's fault?

Being busy, I tend to let the chore of changing bulbs wait until I
find my wife in a miner's helmet with a disapproving look on her face.
So I change a few at a time. What a chore. Recessed fixtures can be
nearly impossible.

Has anybody else noticed this? Any solutions?

Greg Guarino

definitely China

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have one outside socket like that...I put a dab of vaseline on the
buld threads before putting in socket.

You cant blame anything on the Chinese or the mexicans or the
Indians....the state of the US economy is our fault...we demand cheaper
goods we demand higher wages....countries like india, thailand, china
are now realizing that if they improve quality they can sell goods in
america.....it is american businesses and american politicians who are
aiding these countries....

China gonna be selling cars in the US in 2007, 7000.00 for a small car
with 100,000 mile or 10 year warranty......and they are going to have
upscale models comparable to BMWs, lexus for around 20,000

Ford is laying off 30,000 workers...those jobs are not coming back...GM
laid off 30,000 workers last year didnt they...those jobs wont be
coming back........

The worlds economy is levelling out..as countries like the US, Britain,
Canada and Japan get a little poorer...typically poor countries like
China are getting a bit richer.

If China improves their good to a point where US consumers will buy
them China can pretty much just wreck our economy.

I've been checking out typically Cheap and crude Chinese tools and
equipment and over the past few years they have made remarkable strides
in improving quality and finish.

But again....its not chinas fault..we dont have to buy the goods...we
dont have to sell them the raw materials....but we do

Posted to alt.home.repair
George

Greg G wrote:
Am I imagining this, or is there something different about light bulb
sockets or the threads on the bulbs themselves that makes them more
difficult to screw in, and especially remove, than they used to be?
Are the threads made of a different, presumably cheaper, metal? Is it
China's fault?

No, it would be the fault of people demanding cheap stuff. So the
manufacturers build to suit.

Being busy, I tend to let the chore of changing bulbs wait until I
find my wife in a miner's helmet with a disapproving look on her face.
So I change a few at a time. What a chore. Recessed fixtures can be
nearly impossible.

Has anybody else noticed this? Any solutions?

Greg Guarino

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich

"andy everett" wrote in message
I know what you are thinking. The aluminum might be rougher, metal on
similar metal gives rise to greater friction? Before I screw in a bulb I
rub the bulb end on my greasy and sweaty hair and then smear the body
oil on the aluminum threads. The bulb then screws in smoothly.

Must be Italian...
Have you considered a hot shower, soap and shampoo?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Wait until China gets done building those 13 dams on the Nu River, then
there won't be anything at all made in the US.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Greg G wrote:
Am I imagining this, or is there something different about light bulb
sockets or the threads on the bulbs themselves that makes them more
difficult to screw in, and especially remove, than they used to be?
Are the threads made of a different, presumably cheaper, metal? Is it
China's fault?

Being busy, I tend to let the chore of changing bulbs wait until I
find my wife in a miner's helmet with a disapproving look on her face.
So I change a few at a time. What a chore. Recessed fixtures can be
nearly impossible.

Has anybody else noticed this? Any solutions?

Greg Guarino

If you see a sliver colored thread on either the lamp or the socket, you
know you have a cheap product and can cause problems. If it is real brass
(not just brass colored aluminum) it should not cause you any problems.

Several have recommended Vaseline. I suggest not using Vaseline, but
rather use a dielectric lube made for the use. Vaseline can cause as many
problems as it solves in this use.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Greg G wrote:

Am I imagining this, or is there something different about light bulb
sockets or the threads on the bulbs themselves that makes them more
difficult to screw in, and especially remove, than they used to be?
Are the threads made of a different, presumably cheaper, metal? Is it
China's fault?
Being busy, I tend to let the chore of changing bulbs wait until I
find my wife in a miner's helmet with a disapproving look on her face.
So I change a few at a time. What a chore. Recessed fixtures can be
nearly impossible.
Has anybody else noticed this? Any solutions?

Greg Guarino

If it's not too soon after I've washed my face, I find that "nose oil"
from the OUTSIDE surface of my nose works well for stuff like that.

It's an old clockmaker's trick too:

http://www.tradetricks.org/archives/001265.html

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

Soon, the US military will need to replace some of their weapons, tanks and
other hardware. It is not hard to imagine that they will have to order
through China just like the rest of us. Heaven help us if there is a war or
conflict with China, where would they get the weapons if China cuts the US
off.

"Bob" wrote in message
Wait until China gets done building those 13 dams on the Nu River, then
there won't be anything at all made in the US.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
If it's not too soon after I've washed my face, I find that "nose oil"
from the OUTSIDE surface of my nose works well for stuff like that.

It's an old clockmaker's trick too:

http://www.tradetricks.org/archives/001265.html

There's a thread lubricant I bought off the internet called BulbEZ that works
really well. It comes in a tiny tub but it will last a lifetime. The
consistency is like an extrememly hard wax rather than like a liquid or grease.
I used to have one hell of a time getting bulbs to let go after they burned out
but not any more. Great stuff.

http://www.bulbez.com/

I didn't buy it from the link but they're the ones who make it. There's
probably something on the page that tells you where you can buy it. It runs
about $4 (US).

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Posted to alt.home.repair
tbl

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 04:26:22 GMT, Greg G
wrote:

Am I imagining this, or is there something different about light bulb
sockets or the threads on the bulbs themselves that makes them more
difficult to screw in, and especially remove, than they used to be?
Are the threads made of a different, presumably cheaper, metal? Is it
China's fault?

It was the change in the material that the bulbs' bases and
the bulb sockets are made from. It used to be brass, but is
now aluminum, usually. Brass on brass is not too bad a
combination for bulbs and sockets, but al on al is terrible!
It galls (tends to cold-weld to its mating part).

There are electrically-conductive lubricants that can be
applied sparingly to the threads, that will make things much
better, in this regard. Just be sure not to bridge accross
the two conductors!
--
tbl
Posted to alt.home.repair

vaseline is a dielectric.....its a very good one too...

you dont need a lot and you are not using it for its insulating
properties...you actually would be better off with some sort of
conductive grease...Ive used heat sink grease before...and it works
too.....vaseline is more likely to be around the average houshold
though...graphite would also work and its conductive so it might be a
better choice if you have some handy.

you just need a lubricant and you dont need much.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

wrote:

Am I imagining this, or is there something different about light bulb
sockets or the threads on the bulbs themselves that makes them more
difficult to screw in, and especially remove, than they used to be?
Are the threads made of a different, presumably cheaper, metal? Is it
China's fault?

Nothing has changed, but it is China's fault.

(just kidding. I may be having more trouble too, not sure. My big
problem is standing on the bed and changing the bulb without removing
the glass thing.)

Being busy, I tend to let the chore of changing bulbs wait until I
find my wife in a miner's helmet with a disapproving look on her face.
So I change a few at a time. What a chore. Recessed fixtures can be
nearly impossible.

Has anybody else noticed this? Any solutions?

Greg Guarino

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
TKM

"Bob" wrote in message
If you notice that it happens mostly on bulbs that have been burnt out for
while, then possibly humidity is causing corrosion on the base.

"Greg G" wrote in message
news
Am I imagining this, or is there something different about light bulb
sockets or the threads on the bulbs themselves that makes them more
difficult to screw in, and especially remove, than they used to be?
Are the threads made of a different, presumably cheaper, metal? Is it
China's fault?

Being busy, I tend to let the chore of changing bulbs wait until I
find my wife in a miner's helmet with a disapproving look on her face.
So I change a few at a time. What a chore. Recessed fixtures can be
nearly impossible.

Has anybody else noticed this? Any solutions?

Greg Guarino

Good point. Corrosion is particularly likely if the socket is brass and the
bulb threads are aluminum -- dissimilar metals corrode faster, particularly
if there's moisture.

I use silicone spray -- just a light coating with the excess wiped away. It
won't act like glue if the socket gets hot.

TKM

Posted to alt.home.repair
byron

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You better not tell the anti-globalist protesters that free trade apparently
works to help the poorer countries.

Then again you have Mexico, which is third world and seems determined to
stay that way despite being located smack dab next to the richest nation on
earth. Go figure.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Edmund M. Hayes

Bulbez woks great.
I get mine from http://www.lampsplus.com/
Under $4.00 and they DO NOT charge shipping.
Get store.

Ed

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:32:25 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
If it's not too soon after I've washed my face, I find that "nose oil"
from the OUTSIDE surface of my nose works well for stuff like that.

It's an old clockmaker's trick too:

http://www.tradetricks.org/archives/001265.html

There's a thread lubricant I bought off the internet called BulbEZ that works
really well. It comes in a tiny tub but it will last a lifetime. The
consistency is like an extrememly hard wax rather than like a liquid or grease.
I used to have one hell of a time getting bulbs to let go after they burned out
but not any more. Great stuff.

http://www.bulbez.com/

I didn't buy it from the link but they're the ones who make it. There's
probably something on the page that tells you where you can buy it. It runs
about $4 (US).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark

I just ordered some of this BulbEZ stuff also....it's due to arrive this
Thursday....apparently, they were out of stock when my order was first
placed. Glad to hear that it works great....looking forward to bulbs not
sticking.

Mark

wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tomes

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered some. This is correct - 3.99 and no
shipping nor tax. Cool.
Tomes

wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

"Then again you have Mexico, which is third world and seems determined
stay that way despite being located smack dab next to the richest
nation on
earth. Go figure. "

Mexico workers are now being replaced by cheaper workers form china.
Go Figure that!

Stretch