Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Admitted Gas Appliance idiot needs advice/help on broiler

I grew up with electric appliances and I don't know squat about Gas
appliances. So I am hoping someone here can steer me in the right
direction. We have a stand-alone Gas range/oven. 2 days ago the broiler
worked. Last night, it didn't. Stone cold. (my first clue was the raw
steak when I went to flip it after 10 minutes). However, the baking
part of the oven still works, and the stovetop still works. We did not
smell so much as a whiff of gas even tho it was on broil for 10-15
minutes with no ignition.

Sooo...any ideas A) what broke? B) is this a do-it-yourself or
hire-someone repair and C) who do you call for gas appliances? The
plumber? the gas company? the appliance company?

Thanks in advance :-) if you can, please email me at onebusytwinmom at
comcast dot net.

Marilyn

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Phisherman" wrote in message

Possibly the igniter (glow plug) is bad. This can be a do-it-yourself
repair. You can contact your local appliance store for service or
parts. Or go to www.repairclinic.com which has some troubleshooting
logic plus parts for sale. If your appliance is 10+ years old,
consider replacing it rather than spending the hundred bucks.

Just to add to this, the reason you did not smell gas is because the gas did
not go on. There is a safeguard in place that prevents the gas valve from
opening unless the igniter is glowing and making heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

http://fixitnow.com/faq.htm