Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan

Default New roof advice

Can anybody tell me what to watch for,im going to be getting estimates
soon,i live in pa,the roof has 2 layers of shingles,go with the best
shingles,what ply of paper,tear off both layers,thanks for the
advice,dan.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Dan" wrote in message
Can anybody tell me what to watch for,im going to be getting estimates
soon,i live in pa,the roof has 2 layers of shingles,go with the best
shingles,what ply of paper,tear off both layers,thanks for the
advice,dan.

In most places, 2 layers is the limit of what you can have on the roof.
You'll probably be starting from scratch - expect to be quoted for a
tear-off.

1) Ask for references and go take a look at houses done by contractors
you're considering. If you see broad areas where the color looks like it was
smudged off, it sometimes means the workers were on the roof when it was
hot. Feet and knees cause surface damage when the shingles are hot and soft.
It doesn't necessarily cause leakage or anything, but the results look
awful.

2) Another visual - total shifts in color from one area to another. Probably
means the contractor did the roof with shingles from more than one
production run. Not good. Be sure to ask about that.

3) Make sure the contractor is comfortable with the way your gutters are
installed. He may want to extend his shingles a bit further than the
previous ones, which can affect how your gutters catch water. You don't want
the roofer saying "My work was done right, but the gutters were installed
wrong, so it's not my problem". Get comments on that right up front.

4) Observe your current drainage situation, and think about any ice damming
situations you may already have. Discuss those things with the roofer. He
may recommend some extra vents in certain areas (for the ice problems), or
certain minor changes in areas where perhaps the rain misses the gutters.

5) Ask about how the roofer cleans up after the job. If he's iffy about
cleaning up all the nails, move on to the next contractor. The one I used
said the cleanup was no big deal - he had a system. In 5 years after my new
roof, I found exactly one nail, and I spend lots of time gardening on my
knees. If there were more, I would've found them. Don't hire a slob.

6) A dumpster will be needed for the tear-off. Depending on the condition of
your driveway, a dumpster can do some damage. Specify that you want it
parked on wooden skids, and provide the wood if necessary. It's cheaper than
repairing blacktop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

when selecting a color remember white or off white saves energy in the
summer

definetely remove both layers

that rubber membrame is excellent at preventing leaks, costly but worth
it.

adding ridge power or additional venting will help the new roof to last
longer.

have installed in warm or hot weather, so the tab sealers melt.

get lots of references. i an in pa too pittsburgh, what part of pa are
you in?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson

"Dan" wrote in message

Can anybody tell me what to watch for,im going to be getting estimates
soon,i live in pa,the roof has 2 layers of shingles,go with the best
shingles,what ply of paper,tear off both layers,thanks for the

Your only safe source of advice is a neighbour
you know and trust whose house was reroofed (say)
3 to 5 years ago.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs