Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Block Wall Foundation

Which block do you need to use for a house foundation wall? 8" or 12"?
The wall is to be 40" high. I do know, that if they to be under ground
it would have to be the 12" block.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
Which block do you need to use for a house foundation wall? 8" or 12"?
The wall is to be 40" high. I do know, that if they to be under ground
it would have to be the 12" block.

Lets see is the house single, two or more stories?
What is the soil like?
How big and how deep is the footer?
Where I live that is called a stem wall, which is part of the foundation.
What do your building plans call for?
What does the AHJ call for?

I have seen both on houses. 8 inch is more common on single story homes in
the past.
Now days no one uses block for stems. They all use engineered slabs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Which block do you need to use for a house foundation wall? 8" or 12"?
The wall is to be 40" high. I do know, that if they to be under ground
it would have to be the 12" block.

Most are fine with 8" but don't ask here, ask your building inspector. He
will know what you can do in your locality. Why use block at all? Why not
pour an insulated foundation, or even an insulated concrete house?

Save a bundles of energy forever. www.standardicf.com www.polysteel.com