Fred

Default Adding privacy divider on top of block wall

Howdy doody folks!

Wonder if some kind soul can give me some advice on this project...

I have a 5-foot high concrete block wall between my house and the neighbor
and we both would like to add some kind of 2-ft privacy extension on top of
it.

This is one idea I had. It's just to block the view, so it doesn't have to
be supported for kids climbing over, etc. And if it blows down once in a
while, no big deal. But pls let me know if this looks like a good way to do
it to you or whatever else you think about it...

http://www.geocities.com/lexmark8792/fence.html

Thanks!

Fred

Old Nick

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 07:23:31 GMT, "Fred"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Ooh! We're just going to all sorts of Ngs. Oh! We just happen to have
ads on our page. Ooh! I bet we're paid by the hit!

So slap away, and think of all the money rolling in just to make it
work for ya!

Howdy doody folks!

Wonder if some kind soul can give me some advice on this project...

I have a 5-foot high concrete block wall between my house and the neighbor
and we both would like to add some kind of 2-ft privacy extension on top of
it.

This is one idea I had. It's just to block the view, so it doesn't have to
be supported for kids climbing over, etc. And if it blows down once in a
while, no big deal. But pls let me know if this looks like a good way to do
it to you or whatever else you think about it...

http://www.geocities.com/lexmark8792/fence.html

Thanks!

Fred

J. Clarke

Old Nick wrote:

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 07:23:31 GMT, "Fred"
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Ooh! We're just going to all sorts of Ngs. Oh! We just happen to have
ads on our page. Ooh! I bet we're paid by the hit!

So slap away, and think of all the money rolling in just to make it
work for ya!

You might want to check out the Geocities home page. They offer "free" web
hosting. Now why do you think they do that? Perhaps they put ads on your
site in exchange for the free server space? Perhaps it's Geocities that's
making the money and not the guy who posted?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Edwin Pawlowski

"Fred" wrote in message
Howdy doody folks!

Wonder if some kind soul can give me some advice on this project...

I have a 5-foot high concrete block wall between my house and the neighbor
and we both would like to add some kind of 2-ft privacy extension on top
of
it.

This is one idea I had. It's just to block the view, so it doesn't have
be supported for kids climbing over, etc. And if it blows down once in a
while, no big deal. But pls let me know if this looks like a good way to
do
it to you or whatever else you think about it...

http://www.geocities.com/lexmark8792/fence.html

Thanks!

Looks like it will work. You may want to check zoning laws for maximum
height of a fence though. Even though the two of you want it, the nosey
bitch up the street may still turn you in.

Fred

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 11:16:02 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

In my city walls and fences around residential back yards are limited
to six feet. Not quite high enough. The common answer here is to plant
fast-growing hedges because there's generally no limit on height of
hedges in backyards unless it interferes with line of sight for
traffic.

I'm partial to various species of bamboo.

--RC

You can tell a really good idea by the enemies it makes

xrongor

1) if it bothers you that badly, remove the link from your reply.

2) geocities offers free web hosting. the catch is the ads. the same adds
that are on everyones free geocities site. new to the web are you?

3) a casual scan of posts in my newsreader shows this is the only thing you
have offered to the group in the last week. unlike you im not in the
business of playing net cop so i wont bother to google it, but i suspect
none of your posts have ever offered useful advice. if you want to be a
pretend policeman why dont you hang out in front of the local store and
catch shoplifters. much more rewarding...

as for the original poster, looks fine as long as you dont get terrible
winds. if it were me i would consider some sort of vine plant to enhance
the looks and strength of it.

randy

dadiOH

Fred wrote:

This is one idea I had. It's just to block the view, so it doesn't
have to be supported for kids climbing over, etc. And if it blows
down once in a while, no big deal. But pls let me know if this
looks like a good way to do it to you or whatever else you think
about it...

The bottom piece will trap water. Not good even if you use pressure
treated. You could mitigate that by making a rabbet rather than a
dado in the bottom piece, sloping the bottom of the rabbet a bit,
using solid lattice and nailing the bottom of the lattice into the
edge of the rabbet.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

willshak

On 12/6/2004 2:23 AM US(ET), Fred took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Howdy doody folks!

Wonder if some kind soul can give me some advice on this project...

I have a 5-foot high concrete block wall between my house and the neighbor
and we both would like to add some kind of 2-ft privacy extension on top of
it.

This is one idea I had. It's just to block the view, so it doesn't have to
be supported for kids climbing over, etc. And if it blows down once in a
while, no big deal. But pls let me know if this looks like a good way to do
it to you or whatever else you think about it...

http://www.geocities.com/lexmark8792/fence.html

Thanks!

Fred

Check with your local building department before proceeding. They may
have restrictions on the height of residential fences. No sense going
through the expense and time, just to have them make you remove it.
Chuck Hoffman

Your solution looks doable.

Here in Calif, privacy fences are a way of life and most of them are six
feet high. If you reduced your top lattice work to one foot in height (or
even fifteen inches), it would offer less wind load and you would still
maintain your privacy. It seems to me that the wind load on a one foot
height should not over-stress your solution, which I assume is lag bolts and
concrete anchors in the top of the wall. If you're worried about it, here
are a couple suggestions for added strength:

If you have access to the block cores, cut posts to fit and extend them down
into the core a couple feet. (I'm assuming, however, that there is a
concrete cap that covers the top of the wall and the cores.)

If you don't have access to the block cores, you can still erect posts by
fastening them to the inside of the wall with concrete anchors.

"Fred" wrote in message
Howdy doody folks!

Wonder if some kind soul can give me some advice on this project...

I have a 5-foot high concrete block wall between my house and the neighbor
and we both would like to add some kind of 2-ft privacy extension on top

of
it.

This is one idea I had. It's just to block the view, so it doesn't have

be supported for kids climbing over, etc. And if it blows down once in a
while, no big deal. But pls let me know if this looks like a good way to

do
it to you or whatever else you think about it...

http://www.geocities.com/lexmark8792/fence.html

Thanks!

Fred

Regarding widn loading, keep in mind that if you anchor
the extension well to the wall the top course of blocks
might break off and blow over with it.

--

FF

Badger

Fred wrote:

Howdy doody folks!

Wonder if some kind soul can give me some advice on this project...

I have a 5-foot high concrete block wall between my house and the neighbor
and we both would like to add some kind of 2-ft privacy extension on top of
it.

This is one idea I had. It's just to block the view, so it doesn't have to
be supported for kids climbing over, etc. And if it blows down once in a
while, no big deal. But pls let me know if this looks like a good way to do
it to you or whatever else you think about it...

Na, mound earth either side, then extend with more blocks, raise the
earth so the "apparent" height is still within allowed limits. Around
here the front fence must not exceed 3 feet, so those requiring privacy
have 4 foot plus mounds and then a 3 foot fence on top of that!
Phisherman

wrote:

Howdy doody folks!

Wonder if some kind soul can give me some advice on this project...

I have a 5-foot high concrete block wall between my house and the neighbor
and we both would like to add some kind of 2-ft privacy extension on top of
it.

This is one idea I had. It's just to block the view, so it doesn't have to
be supported for kids climbing over, etc. And if it blows down once in a
while, no big deal. But pls let me know if this looks like a good way to do
it to you or whatever else you think about it...

http://www.geocities.com/lexmark8792/fence.html

Thanks!

Fred

It looks like a weak design that won't hold up (is that really what
you want??.) Use 4 foot posts with a 2' half laps fastened to the
wall with 2 or 3 concrete screws.
Phisherman

I never did get to see all the advertisements and the ad pop-ups were
blocked with Firefox Mozilla.
:-(
Does this mean I don't get paid?

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:16:14 +0800, Old Nick
wrote:

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 07:23:31 GMT, "Fred"
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Ooh! We're just going to all sorts of Ngs. Oh! We just happen to have
ads on our page. Ooh! I bet we're paid by the hit!

So slap away, and think of all the money rolling in just to make it
work for ya!

GeeDubb

Phisherman wrote:
I never did get to see all the advertisements and the ad pop-ups were
blocked with Firefox Mozilla.
:-(
Does this mean I don't get paid?

Neither did I with OE with the most recent MS patches installed.

Gary

wrote:

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 07:23:31 GMT, "Fred"
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Ooh! We're just going to all sorts of Ngs. Oh! We just happen to have
ads on our page. Ooh! I bet we're paid by the hit!

So slap away, and think of all the money rolling in just to make it
work for ya!

Fred

"xrongor" wrote in message

as for the original poster, looks fine as long as you dont get terrible
winds. if it were me i would consider some sort of vine plant to enhance
the looks and strength of it.

Thanks, Randy. Good idea.
Fred

Fred

"Badger" wrote in message

Fred wrote:

[...]

Thanks, but won't work here - not enough space for the earth.

Fred

"Phisherman" wrote in message

It looks like a weak design that won't hold up (is that really what
you want??.) Use 4 foot posts with a 2' half laps fastened to the
wall with 2 or 3 concrete screws.

I've seen those around here. Might be the way to go but I was trying to
avoid adding any braces on the sides. You're probably right about the weak
design though. First big wind might do it in. Still thinking....

Fred

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I never did get to see all the advertisements and the ad pop-ups were
blocked with Firefox Mozilla.
:-(
Does this mean I don't get paid?

Thanks for this info! I really hate geocities now that they push these
popups on you, and you have no control over what they're advertising. Used
to use angelfire until they went overboard with it.

Fred

One of the folks replied to this and I accidentally deleted his message in
mid stream. He was talking about changing the grooves and putting something
at angle..... didn't quite get it because I was looking up every other word
in the dictionary....

Anyway, would you mind sketching out your idea and posting somewhere, like
at...
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thanks!
Fred

"Badger" wrote in message

Fred wrote:

[...]

GLT

One option to rabbiting for the lattice, is to use a vinyl product that is a
track that the vinyl lattice fits into to..I used this to build a privacy
fence on top of a block wall just last month..Although theres a bit more
work involved to attach the track to the 2X4, or 2X6 framing.
Also, height, there are cities here in so. calif. that allow you to
erect a 2' high privacy fence on top of an existing 6' wall, so check your
local building code. As for attaching the sill, or bottom plate to the block
wall, some cities require pressure treated lumber that has to be bolted, via
all thread epoxyed into the block wall, once again, check your local
building code, doing it this way will eliminate any possiblity of the fence
coming down, or you could do it the cheap,fast way, by using liquid nails on
the bottom, and shooting it down with a Hiltie.

"Badger" wrote in message

Fred wrote:

[...]

dadiOH

Fred wrote:
One of the folks replied to this and I accidentally deleted his
message in mid stream. He was talking about changing the grooves and
putting something at angle..... didn't quite get it because I was
looking up every other word in the dictionary....

Anyway, would you mind sketching out your idea and posting somewhere,
like at...

I don't draw well but here's what I wrote...

"The bottom piece will trap water. Not good even if you use pressure
treated. You could mitigate that by making a rabbet rather than a
dado in the bottom piece, sloping the bottom of the rabbet a bit,
using solid lattice and nailing the bottom of the lattice into the
edge of the rabbet."

Basically, instead of this...
___ ____
| | _| |
|________|

this...
_____
____| |
|________|

with the bottom of the rabbet sloped out board so it will drain. The
idea of using a grooved piece of plastic for the bottom is good too but
I'd drill weep holes into it.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

Fred

Thanks very much Chuck! Your advice is exactly what I was hoping for.

And, HECK (sorry ladies), I'll just go ahead and screw in a few eye-bolts to
the top and if wind looks like a problem, I'll just string a cord and fasten
them to the trees. Not a big deal. Plus... the lovely wife will have extra
clothes lines, too! Everybody wins!

om...