Posted to alt.home.repair
Anna

Default Washer Drain/Cheater air pipe?

I need to connect into my existing plumbing to add a clothes washer drain.
Hopefully this lay out explains what I need.
I need to know if I will be putting in P-trap in right location?
And do I need to put in a cheater air pipe to eliminate backup or drain off
of P-trap, because of kitchen sink being high elevation than washer, or
other cause??
If I need cheater air pipe where do I place it?
I only plan on putting in a pipe connection to put my washer drain into, do
not want to put in a wash tub as I do not have the space available.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kitchen sink

|_____over 20 feet_______

|Down 2feet
|______over 8feet ??want to
connet here

I want to connect a clothes washer drain pipe here ?? into the pipe of
eight feet run
Then the pipe continues to run over 2 feet

?? ___over 2feet__|___over 6feet____
| O Then
drops down into main
P will put in p-trap? O sewage in
basement

Washer is 5feet away from
where I want to connect into existing pipe

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Anna wrote:

I need to connect into my existing plumbing to add a clothes washer drain.
Hopefully this lay out explains what I need.
I need to know if I will be putting in P-trap in right location?
And do I need to put in a cheater air pipe to eliminate backup or drain off
of P-trap, because of kitchen sink being high elevation than washer, or
other cause??
If I need cheater air pipe where do I place it?
I only plan on putting in a pipe connection to put my washer drain into, do
not want to put in a wash tub as I do not have the space available.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kitchen sink

|_____over 20 feet_______

|Down 2feet
|______over 8feet ??want to
connet here

I want to connect a clothes washer drain pipe here ?? into the pipe of
eight feet run
Then the pipe continues to run over 2 feet

|drain from upstairs bathroom

?? ___over 2feet__|___over 6feet____
| O Then
drops down into main
P will put in p-trap? O sewage in
basement

Washer is 5feet away from
where I want to connect into existing pipe

The pic wasn't entirely clear (it's hard to show in ASCII),
but yes, you will need *some* kind of vent to prevent
siphoning of the water in the new P trap.

When you cut into the main drain, insert a "WYE" fitting
or a "TEE-WYE". The inlet should be 2" size. Run the 2"
pipe 5 feet over to washer location.

VENT\/

TEE|-----U----/ Washer Inlet
| P-Trap
----/----- Main Drain
WYE

Whether you are permitted to use a mechanical (cheater) vent
or have to run a vent line to roof is up to your inspector.
Mechanical vents are like:
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/autovent.html

Good article:
http://www.pmengineer.com/CDA/Articl...101269,00.html