Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris

Default Install tankless water heater--DIY project?

Wondering how hellish it would be for an inexperienced DIYer to replace
the old water heater with a tankless. Plumbers want $1200 just to
install. Anyone have experience installing one? We were looking at
the Rinnai 2532FFU.

Thanks,
Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
Wondering how hellish it would be for an inexperienced DIYer to replace
the old water heater with a tankless. Plumbers want $1200 just to
install. Anyone have experience installing one? We were looking at
the Rinnai 2532FFU.

Thanks,
Chris

Give us a break, How could anyone answer that question with out seeing the
location.

Some things to think about are
is your gas line at the current location big enough? specs on the unit tell
ya
do you have the necessary combustion air?
is the exhaust pipe big enough?
is the temp rise of the coldest water expected going to be satisfactory?
is the gallons per minute of the stated model really going to do the job?

I looked into these and when I found that my gas line need to be larger at
the location I wanted to install it AND there were no spare parts available
in a city of over a million people I passed. My exhaust was to small but
that was a no biggie.
Then I thought to check the temp rise of the unit that was recommended to
me. Low and behold the winter months I would have warm water, not hot. I
installed a new water heater for ~$250 and all is well in the hot water
department.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TAB Dude

Chris,

1- you should not be able to buy a Rinnai without the required certification
from rinnai.

2- You have to use Rinnai's venting produts to install or else you will die
and the unit will fail.

3- Don't be cheap - We are getting $1800 for these units installed and they
qualify for a $300.00 tax rebate if you have it professionally installed.
Go with a 2520 save some money without major performance loss.

TAB Dude

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris wrote:

Wondering how hellish it would be for an inexperienced DIYer to replace
the old water heater with a tankless.

If you' can't ask the right questions, then you can't put in a gas
heater.

Is it inside or outside, house or flat, top floor or not etc etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

I put in a Bosch 117000 btu Ng, And yes it takes 34-35f incomming and
makes a hot shower not even being set to high. You will need to buy a
Manometer? to measure gas flow. Tankless are big gas Btu users, to get
its potential you need to know supply is adequate with all other
apliances competing and run the proper size pipes. Other than that you
can do it, I recomend a Flush - freeze drain set up at the bottom and
top so you can DeLime it by pouring through something like lime away and
quick draining for freeze protection. Follow instructions that came with
the unit. A fire resistant wall board-aluminum sheet, is a good saftey
precaution. I used a stainless wall vent and removed siding around it
since exuast is real hot. Get the unit with remote thermostat. I save
75% over my old super insulated Electric tank with my Bosch with Battery
ignition. Insulate hot supplies with foam pipe insulation. I kept my old
tank inline with Bypass valves, stripped its insulation, now it tempers
cold incomming water to save even more.

Tanks are for dinosaurs, sears best Ng tank has an energy factor in the
60S, Tankless evergy factors are up from 83 to 90+. considering 1/3
yearly Ng usage can be to heat water people need to learn.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

we like al at:
http://alsheating.com/Continuum.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris

TAB Dude wrote:
Chris,

1- you should not be able to buy a Rinnai without the required certification
from rinnai.

2- You have to use Rinnai's venting produts to install or else you will die
and the unit will fail.

3- Don't be cheap - We are getting $1800 for these units installed and they
qualify for a $300.00 tax rebate if you have it professionally installed.
Go with a 2520 save some money without major performance loss.

TAB Dude

When you say $1800 installed, do you mean $1800 for the unit plus
installation? If so, that's a steal. Our plumber wants $1200 just to
install, so $2500 for unit + installation.

I see places online selling Rinnai. Can't I buy those w/o
certifiations?

-chris

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris

SQLit wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
Wondering how hellish it would be for an inexperienced DIYer to replace
the old water heater with a tankless. Plumbers want $1200 just to
install. Anyone have experience installing one? We were looking at
the Rinnai 2532FFU.

Thanks,
Chris

Give us a break, How could anyone answer that question with out seeing the
location.

Central Texas. We'd like to put the unit in the attic.

Some things to think about are
is your gas line at the current location big enough? specs on the unit tell

How does one find out one's current gas capacity?

Posted to alt.home.repair
TAB Dude

We are selling them for $1800 for the unit installed. If you get one from
on line and install yourself, there will be no warranty and you accept all
liability. Rinnai says unit to be purchased and installed by certified
contractor. If installed by contractor unit has 10 year warranty and is
eligible for $300 tax credit.

TAB Dude