Posted to alt.home.repair
David

Default Ice Maker Freezing Up

I have an old (20 yrs) Whirlpool refrigerator with an ice maker that keeps
freezing up. The water freezes in the water refill tube every couple of
months. I did discover that the tube has a small crack on the part that is
outside the freezer and leaks a very small amount. I can thaw the tube out
with a hair dryer and then the ice maker works for another month or two.

Is there a permanent solution to my problem? Would the crack in the tube be
causing any of the problem? That is easily replaced.

Thanks for your advice.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

http://www.repairclinic.com/0088_4_1.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair
David

"David" wrote in message
I have an old (20 yrs) Whirlpool refrigerator with an ice maker that keeps
freezing up. The water freezes in the water refill tube every couple of
months. I did discover that the tube has a small crack on the part that is
outside the freezer and leaks a very small amount. I can thaw the tube out
with a hair dryer and then the ice maker works for another month or two.

Is there a permanent solution to my problem? Would the crack in the tube
be causing any of the problem? That is easily replaced.

Thanks for your advice.

David

Just a follow-up...The problem turned out to be a leaking water inlet valve.
The coil itself was good, but the valve had a leak letting the fill tube
become filled with water which then froze.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair
David

"David" wrote in message
I have an old (20 yrs) Whirlpool refrigerator with an ice maker that keeps
freezing up. The water freezes in the water refill tube every couple of
months. I did discover that the tube has a small crack on the part that is
outside the freezer and leaks a very small amount. I can thaw the tube out
with a hair dryer and then the ice maker works for another month or two.

Is there a permanent solution to my problem? Would the crack in the tube
be causing any of the problem? That is easily replaced.

Thanks for your advice.

David

Just a follow-up...the problem was the water inlet valve leaking. I replaced
it and everything works fine now.

David