Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rebating a hole in my decking to fit lights

Hi

Is there such a thing as an 'adjustable circular rebate and hole cutter
tool' that I can use to fit my new deck lights? If not, how should I
go about this (see below) as I have searched high and low for the
correct tools.

In the deck, I need a 74mm hole cutting straight through the deck board
and a 90mm hole rebating in to the top of the deck board and this
should be 12mm deep.

The light also has a 'lip' on it that sits above the deck (making the
diameter of the fitting above the deck equal to 100mm).

Hope this makes sense....

Cheers

James

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

A hole cutter = hole saw. 74mm = 2.91" so a 3" hole saw would probably
do the trick.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...e+113744242 6

and I think you mean rabbet. 90mm = 3.54", 12mm = 0.47"
For this, I would use a router with a circular template.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

wrote:
Hi

Is there such a thing as an 'adjustable circular rebate and hole cutter
tool' that I can use to fit my new deck lights? If not, how should I
go about this (see below) as I have searched high and low for the
correct tools.

In the deck, I need a 74mm hole cutting straight through the deck board
and a 90mm hole rebating in to the top of the deck board and this
should be 12mm deep.

I'm afraid I haven't heard the term "rebating" applied to a project like
like you're describing, but Webster's gives this daffynition:

to reduce the sharpness of : BLUNT

So, I'm guessing maybe you're describing either a 90 mm counterbore in a
74 mm hole or a beveled edge on the inside diameter of that 74 mm hole.

Either way, if I had to do it with what I have on hand I'd grab my
router, make up a couple of circular templates out of thin plywood or
Masonite with a sabre saw and route that hole and it's counterbore (or
bevel.)

It's possible you could use a single point circle cutter like this:

http://tinyurl.com/9egoc

In a hand brace if you sharpened the bit to the correct shape and the
the counterbore/chamfer first, then reset the tool smaller to make the
through bore.

Don't even think about using one of those tools in a hand held power
drill, it'd likely leap out and mar your decking. You might be able to
use one of those under power if you took a small drill press, removed
the table and flipped the base around and somehow fastened it to the
deck maybe with some machine screws through the spaces between the deck
boards and a piece of strapping underneath, but that's a long walk for a
short slide.

HTH,

Jeff

snipped

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all your advise everyone.....I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers