Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

Default Wiring question #2,719

At a friend's house, there's a covered box over a work bench, with a really
fat wire going into it, nothing coming out. We suspect the previous owner
had some sort of 220v tools there, maybe. My friend would like a regular
110v outlet. The house was built around 1985. Am I correct in thinking there
are two hot lines in there, and that I can pick off just one of them plus
neutral in order to get 110v? We're hoping to not have to run another line
back to the breaker box. What's the color arrangement for a 220v line,
assuming that's what's there? (Haven't gone in with a meter yet to measure).