Posted to alt.home.repair
stevie

Default cleaning ac

what is the best way to clean the coils on outside ac unit? it is a Trane
XL1200 installed in 1989 and still runs ok.

do i need to remove the sides and/or the top to clean, or can i just hose it
from the outside without removing any of the panels?

Posted to alt.home.repair
spudnuty

stevie wrote:
what is the best way to clean the coils on outside ac unit? it is a Trane
XL1200 installed in 1989 and still runs ok.

do i need to remove the sides and/or the top to clean, or can i just hose it
from the outside without removing any of the panels?

I cleaned 2 that I bought and had to take the outer housing off. They
were both less than a year old but it looked like they had pigeons
nesting on them. The exterior exchanger had crap and feathers stuck in
it. I used a very tight nozzle that I modded to make it even tighter. I
used soapy water and a very stiff scrub brush.
Both work great now.
Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Al Moran wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 15:55:59 -0600, "stevie" wrote:

what is the best way to clean the coils on outside ac unit? it is a Trane
XL1200 installed in 1989 and still runs ok.

do i need to remove the sides and/or the top to clean, or can i just hose it

from the outside without removing any of the panels?

A good sand blasting will do the trick. After you're done with that,
make sure you change the thermostsat.

is that an (unsuccessful) attempt at humor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

those tranes you have to take the covers off to get at it good, it
has the funky spikes on a pipe type fins..

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Couple different ways. Depending on the type of coils, you can use either a
pressure washer (from the inside out) or coil cleaner. Wide angle fan spray
does less damage to the coils. Straight stream bends the fins.

I know of three or more types of coil cleaner, different techs prefer
different cleaners.

With any of the choices, you do have to take the covers off.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.