Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

Default Oven igniter replaced - glows all the time

Hi,

After some help here, I replace an igniter. Was $47 all told and it came
with pigtails and molex connector.

Had to get at the connector from the bottom, after removing a couple of
sheet metal panels.

Now the question: should the igniter stay ON, as long as the oven is set to
some temp? The igniter for the broiler does.

Never paid any attention to it, until now.

I ask, because the heating furnace igniter goes off, as soon as the gas is
ignited. Could last longer that way.

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair
Appliance Repair Aid

Hi,

The ignitor stays on when the oven is heating yes. Once the desired
temp is reached the ignitor will go off and cool down and close the gas
valve, when the heat is called for again the ignitor will come back on
and stay on when the flame is on.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Interesting, now can you go up to the post entitled "Can I move the igniter
closer", and advise mm before he kills his friend.

"Appliance Repair Aid" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

The ignitor stays on when the oven is heating yes. Once the desired
temp is reached the ignitor will go off and cool down and close the gas
valve, when the heat is called for again the ignitor will come back on
and stay on when the flame is on.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

Thanks much for the clarification.

The only reason I questioned it that in a furnace it went off, as soon as
the flames started.

Rich

"Appliance Repair Aid" wrote in message

The ignitor stays on when the oven is heating yes. Once the desired
temp is reached the ignitor will go off and cool down and close the gas
valve, when the heat is called for again the ignitor will come back on
and stay on when the flame is on.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus

Interesting. So that sort of oven turns the gas completely on and off as
opposed to modulating the flow?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Appliance Repair Aid

Thanks much for the clarification.

The only reason I questioned it that in a furnace it went off, as soon as the flames started.

Hi,

The amerage the ignitor draws holds or keeps the gas safety valve open
when the oven is on. Once the ignitor is no longer powered it cools and
draws less and less amerage and evenually draws no amerage and the gas
safety valve closes and shuts off the gas flow.

http://appliancehelp.hypermart.net/h...-works-C21.pdf

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/