Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary

Default gas water heater timer

Would I save any money if I installed a 120 v timer on my power vented gas
water heater?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Yes, but you would save very, very, very little money, unless you only ran
it a few hours a week.

"Gary" wrote in message
Would I save any money if I installed a 120 v timer on my power vented gas
water heater?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Gary wrote:
Would I save any money if I installed a 120 v timer on my power vented gas
water heater?

I think it's worth doing on a power vent because the
cost of the timer is so low. You can buy a plug-in
timer for ~ $10.

Leave the heater off overnight and during daytime
periods you are away (for someone who works and
house is vacant).

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

What about doubling or tripling the insulation, that would cut stand by
losses dramatically.

although the heater will not be actively using gas during off hours,
when the timer turns back on the heater will have to warm up the water.

thats why insulation might be a better investment

dont obstruct any air vents

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Most of the newer ones already have spray foam insulation. Depending on the
water temp and basement temp, turning them off during the day might not save
much. If the basement is cold, using those insulating blankets can trap
moisture.

wrote in message
ups.com...
What about doubling or tripling the insulation, that would cut stand by
losses dramatically.

although the heater will not be actively using gas during off hours,
when the timer turns back on the heater will have to warm up the water.

thats why insulation might be a better investment

dont obstruct any air vents

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Gary" wrote in message
Would I save any money if I installed a 120 v timer on my power vented gas
water heater?

Depends. First, where is the heater located? If it is in space that you
want to heat anyway in the winter, the heat is not lost, it is distributed
through the living space and saves on the central heater. In the summer,
that heat will either be lost or you will pay to remove it with the AC.

How often does the burner run when no water is being used? Keep an eye on
that and see just what it takes to maintain the temperature during periods
of non-use. Most units are well insulated today and the loss in minimal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,
Good heater has already good insulatiuon. As far as I know I never saw
heater firing up when hot water is not used. Our heater is located in
the insulated basement utility room with gas furnace, water softener.
Tony

then a timer will save nothing. but run up your electric bill a tiny
amount for the timer

I had a hopt water tank fail as I was leaving for a 2 day trip. Leak
was at the top. I turned off the water and left.

2 days later I returned and the water was still hot enough for a
shower. I turned the water back on and let it leak.

tank insulation has really got good.