Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default gas water heater timer

"Gary" wrote in message
Would I save any money if I installed a 120 v timer on my power vented gas
water heater?

Depends. First, where is the heater located? If it is in space that you
want to heat anyway in the winter, the heat is not lost, it is distributed
through the living space and saves on the central heater. In the summer,
that heat will either be lost or you will pay to remove it with the AC.

How often does the burner run when no water is being used? Keep an eye on
that and see just what it takes to maintain the temperature during periods
of non-use. Most units are well insulated today and the loss in minimal.