Posted to alt.home.repair
Pawel

Default can propane torch be used to fic the blacktop

My driveway is quiete poorly done (probably to thin and with bad support)
and so it is cracked and have plants coming in crakcs.Can propane torch (one
run from the 10 galon grill tank) produce enough heat to actually melt it to
close the cracks, or is it good only to burn grass away? thanks
pawel

Posted to alt.home.repair

be very careful, pointing a propane torch onto concrete asphalt etc can
and does cause mini explosions of the stone material......

i did this by accident once, torch fell over in my driveway.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Pawel wrote:
My driveway is quiete poorly done (probably to thin and with bad support)
and so it is cracked and have plants coming in crakcs.Can propane torch (one
run from the 10 galon grill tank) produce enough heat to actually melt it to
close the cracks, or is it good only to burn grass away? thanks
pawel

Nope. Try this site, it gives a good overview:
http://doityourself.com/concrete/asphaltdriveway.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

I still believe regular sealing extends driveway life. my old next door
neighbors driveway has been sealed every couple years since I was a
kid. I am 48 and that driveway still is ok, and in better shape than
the homeowner.

I seriously doubt that driveway would be anything more than rubble if
it had never been sealed, its about 45 years old

Posted to alt.home.repair

Propane torch would be fine for burning away weeds, and you can find
several crack fillers at your local home center. After filling the
cracks, use sealer as suggested above - I think this combination would
be a much better solution than trying to melt your driveway.
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Levon

Pawel wrote:
or is it good only to burn grass away? thanks
pawel

you're a fire bug

I have set small ravines on fire to remove brush and thicket
but never have I BURNED weeds from a drive etc...

you're going to burn the house down!

does your insurance company know your method of maintaining weeds?

"well babe, think ill go trim the weeds..."

most people use a weed eater, YOU whip out the torch
you should have never bought an attatchment for the grill tank

tell us, what else have you "burnt" with the grill tank and attatchment

pyro fire bug!

Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF

"Pawel" wrote in message
My driveway is quiete poorly done (probably to thin and with bad support)
and so it is cracked and have plants coming in crakcs.Can propane torch
(one run from the 10 galon grill tank) produce enough heat to actually
melt it to close the cracks, or is it good only to burn grass away? thanks
pawel

Asphalt will flow when heated. Paving is a mix of asphalt and sand/gravel.
The mix will not flow when heated unless pounded into place. Witness that
paving crews use tampers and/or rollers to do the job. So your torch isn't
likely to accomplish much.

SJF

Posted to alt.home.repair

ahh overreaction.

better to use gasoline to kill the weeds. just a !!!little!!!! poured
into the cracks. its not environmetally friendly but I have done this
forever. no smoking in area or matches

Gasoline poisions the plant completely, within hours its dead. in a
couple days it can easily be pulled out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Better to use Roundup to kill weeds, and then a commercial crack
sealer as recommended. I like fire too, and don't apologize for it, but
this isn't the place to use it. Now maybe that anthill...-Jitney ;-)