Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Cranialstrain

Default Plumbling: Header tank supplying bath?

Hi All,

As a complete novice in heating a plumbing I'm looking for some advice;

we've got major problems at the moment (seemingly only worsened by a
power flush) which I am trying figure out as I'm having no luck.

My first, and hopefully simply question, is: "Should the header tank be

supplying the cold water to the bath? ... or should it come straight
from the mains supply as per the en-suite showers, taps, etc?"

My second is: "If you have an indirect cylinder with a bleed value and
when bleeding - air constantly comes out (or nothing.. e.g. no pressure

and no water), does that indicate a problem with the cylinder?"

Any help/information would be very much appreciated..!

Thanks, CS.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Cranialstrain wrote:
As a complete novice in heating a plumbing I'm looking for some advice;

we've got major problems at the moment (seemingly only worsened by a
power flush) which I am trying figure out as I'm having no luck.

My first, and hopefully simply question, is: "Should the header tank be

supplying the cold water to the bath? ... or should it come straight
from the mains supply as per the en-suite showers, taps, etc?"

What is the "header tank"?

My second is: "If you have an indirect cylinder with a bleed value and
when bleeding - air constantly comes out (or nothing.. e.g. no pressure

and no water), does that indicate a problem with the cylinder?"

You've got a blockage.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Cranialstrain

Chris Bacon wrote:

What is the "header tank"?

I'm referring to the main tank in the loft that is filled with cold
water direct from the supply which I assume is also used as a source
for flushing loo's and things?

You've got a blockage.

I'd suspected this might be the case I think it's a fully
circulating system so as the radiators have been working fine (and
water flowing round) does this indicate the blockage in immediately
local to the cylinder or in the cylinder itself? Is there an easy way
to check/clear it?

Thanks so much for your help!

CS.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Cranialstrain wrote:

My first, and hopefully simply question, is: "Should the header tank be
supplying the cold water to the bath? ... or should it come straight
from the mains supply as per the en-suite showers, taps, etc?"

There's no "should" about it; it's perfectly normal for stored cold
water in a tank to supply all cold water taps in the house except any
used for drinking water (ie the kitchen sink for definite, and usually
the bathroom basin too).

It's also perfectly normal for there to be no stored cold water at all,
and for mains-pressure water to be supplying all taps in the house.

Don't worry about it.

David
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

I've just had to deal with a similar problem - see my posting 'Oddball
DHW problem'.

I'm only just that bit more knowledgeable than you - firstly it is
normal when there is a cold water tank in the attic for the bath to
have it's cold feed from that; if nothing else it means that both taps
are running at the same pressure.

The 'power flush' I know nothing of.

The bleed valve on the indirect cylinder puzzles me as the normal
configuration is for a vent pipe to run straight up from the top of the
tank - this pipe either goes through the roof and bends over or
(inadvisably) feeds back over the cold water tank. I don't see why
there is a bleed valve. If in fact this valve is on the heating coil
from the central heating system that would make more sense and would
suggest that motor valve to direct the hot water to the coil is not
functioning.

My problem was reduced pressure in the hw flow and the advice I
recieved was to back flush the hw system by attaching the mains through
a hose to the hw tap somewhere (I had to take off a coupling and attach
directly to the pipe as the taps were all mixer taps). I emptied the
attic tank and ran all the hot water out of the hw tank into the attic
tank which I then emptied again before re-filling. That cleared the
problem.

Rob

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

hi..
I want to talk with you.
Excute me..
Please Reply me..

ksmin

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Lobster

wrote:
hi..
I want to talk with you.
Excute me..
Please Reply me..

ksmin

Eh? Who, me?!

Header Tank FujiMan UK diy 1 December 10th 04 01:57 PM
Waterlogged well pressure tank David Efflandt Home Repair 10 May 3rd 04 09:09 PM
No Cold Water Header Tank - Is this a problem? Chris UK diy 9 December 3rd 03 08:51 PM
Hot Water Keeps Entering My Header Tank. Wildey UK diy 1 November 6th 03 12:53 PM
Rubber strip for front edge of bath David W.E. Roberts UK diy 9 October 14th 03 11:50 AM