Posted to alt.home.repair
herlihyboy

Default GFCI Plug Standards

We live in an old home and I'm planning to add a couple of new wall
outlets in our kitchen between the counter and the cabinets. What is
the recommendation for usage/non-usage of GFCI plugs in this part of
the house? I suppose the codes may vary by state, but I'm just looking
for a general rule of thumb. My in-laws home was built around 1970 and
none of the outlets between their counter and cabinets are GFCI plugs.

Thanks,

Ryan

Posted to alt.home.repair
FDR

be G

"herlihyboy" wrote in message
oups.com...
We live in an old home and I'm planning to add a couple of new wall
outlets in our kitchen between the counter and the cabinets. What is
the recommendation for usage/non-usage of GFCI plugs in this part of
the house? I suppose the codes may vary by state, but I'm just looking
for a general rule of thumb. My in-laws home was built around 1970 and
none of the outlets between their counter and cabinets are GFCI plugs.

Thanks,

Ryan

A general rule of thumb is any outlet within about 6 feet of a sink or water
source should be GFCI. Local codes may vary.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT

herlihyboy wrote:
We live in an old home and I'm planning to add a couple of new wall
outlets in our kitchen between the counter and the cabinets. What is
the recommendation for usage/non-usage of GFCI plugs in this part of
the house? I suppose the codes may vary by state, but I'm just looking
for a general rule of thumb. My in-laws home was built around 1970 and
none of the outlets between their counter and cabinets are GFCI plugs.

Thanks,

Ryan

All outlets that serve kitchen counter tops must be GFCI protected under
the latest US NEC rules. You are not required to retrofit but it
doesn't cost that much so protect them all with GFCIs. New and
replacement receptacles must be GFCI protected.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

All kitchen counter outlets should be GFCI protected and kitchen shold
have seperate circuit for fridge, and dishwasher and at least 2 20 amp
counter circuits.

thats the latest code far as I know and it makes sense, kitchen
appliances are power piggies...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 9 Jan 2006 05:30:39 -0800, "herlihyboy"
wrote:

We live in an old home and I'm planning to add a couple of new wall
outlets in our kitchen between the counter and the cabinets. What is
the recommendation for usage/non-usage of GFCI plugs in this part of
the house? I suppose the codes may vary by state, but I'm just looking
for a general rule of thumb. My in-laws home was built around 1970 and
none of the outlets between their counter and cabinets are GFCI plugs.

My house was built in 1979, in Maryland, and all the outlets are run
off of a GFI circuit breaker in the basement. Have you checked for
that?

BTW, 1970 is not an old home.

Thanks,

Ryan

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/electrical-wiring/part1/

Posted to alt.home.repair
herlihyboy

My house was built in 1979, in Maryland, and all the outlets are run
off of a GFI circuit breaker in the basement. Have you checked for
that?

BTW, 1970 is not an old home.

Hah. True. My in-laws house was built in 1970. My house was built
around 1900. I think that qualifies as old.

Ryan