Junior Member

Question Hot water tap stopped working

Hi! My upstairs bathroom sink hot water tap has stopped working with no water at all flowing. I don't think that its the water pressure as the other 3 taps in the bathroom are fine ...any ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

Default Hot water tap stopped working

frozen? open the vanity below the sink and let the pipes running thru
an outside wall thaw. speed it up by warming things up with a fan. hot
water freezes before cold water.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Sorry Bill, but hot water does not freeze before cold water. There are more
BTUs in hot water, and it takes longer for those BTUs to leave the water.
The molecules are bouncing around faster, and it takes longer for them to
slow down. Take a bucket of both and stick them outside. You'll find out.

"buffalobill" wrote in message
ups.com...
frozen? open the vanity below the sink and let the pipes running thru
an outside wall thaw. speed it up by warming things up with a fan. hot
water freezes before cold water.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

You may be correct about the frozen pipe. I would suggest that the OP check
for pipe cracks and make sure they know where the shut off valve is before
thawing it out.

"buffalobill" wrote in message
ups.com...
frozen? open the vanity below the sink and let the pipes running thru
an outside wall thaw. speed it up by warming things up with a fan. hot
water freezes before cold water.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

Bob, I was a plumber/pipefitter in Pennsylvania for 8 years before
moving to South Carolina.
Often the hot water would freeze and not the cold. Makes no sense, but
it happened a lot.

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article . com, "Stretch" wrote:
Bob, I was a plumber/pipefitter in Pennsylvania for 8 years before
moving to South Carolina.
Often the hot water would freeze and not the cold. Makes no sense, but
it happened a lot.

Makes sense *only* if the hot water is in a smaller pipe. Otherwise, it's
simply not possible.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

I've heard the statement that hot water freezes before cold water for years.
People come up with all kinds of arguments, but the most common one is that
some of the oxygen has been removed from hot water. If you're just comparing
hot and cold water, the statement simply isn't true. I agree that hot water
pipes will "often" freeze before cold water pipes, but when water is in
pipes, there are too many variables.
OT, I even had a woman argue with me once that heat doesn't rise. lol

"Stretch" wrote in message
ups.com...
Bob, I was a plumber/pipefitter in Pennsylvania for 8 years before
moving to South Carolina.
Often the hot water would freeze and not the cold. Makes no sense, but
it happened a lot.

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair
spudnuty

I've heard of this too, this guy:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...hot_water.html
even has a name for it, "the Mpemba effect" and he
http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF6/650.html
Someone in the physics department told me about this, claiming it would
make my ice trays freeze faster. I never did it because I feel hot
water has more dissolved impurities and only use filtered water for ice
trays.
Back to the OP, have you tried turning off the hot feed under the sink
and detaching the flex feed to the hot side. Then test to see if
there's sufficient pressure at that point. If so then it's in the
faucet if not, the line.
Richard

Doug Miller wrote:
In article . com, "Stretch" wrote:
Bob, I was a plumber/pipefitter in Pennsylvania for 8 years before
moving to South Carolina.
Often the hot water would freeze and not the cold. Makes no sense, but
it happened a lot.

Makes sense *only* if the hot water is in a smaller pipe. Otherwise, it's
simply not possible.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
MasterBlaster

"MODERN LASS" wrote

Hi! My upstairs bathroom sink hot water tap has stopped working with no
water at all flowing. I don't think that its the water pressure as the
other 3 taps in the bathroom are fine ...any ideas?

Someone playing with the shutoff valve in the vanity (under the sink)?
Frozen pipe? (see other posts)
Plastic supply line crimped by shoving too much stuff into vanity?
Handle stripped, and isn't turning the stem?
Washer retaining screw came off, and washer is stuck to seat?
Washer disintegrated and plugged internal passages?

Posted to alt.home.repair
unclevito

Dear Modern Lass,
Look under the sink up at the underside of the faucet. If you have a
widespread faucet (where the hot and cold handles are more than 4 inches
apart) the hot and cold valves are connected to the center spout with
flexible hoses and I think the hose from the hot valve to the spout has
become kinked because the hot side valve got overtightened or the nut
holding it in place has become a bit loose.
Please let me know if this helped.
RepairGuy

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

maybe you need to ask your plumber about these items i learned from
one, john huffnagle in buffalo ny:
hot water pipes will freeze before cold water pipes.
wind chill factor will freeze water pipes in exterior walls.
a thick blanket of fallen snow like a foot or two ap against the
building can keep a water supply pipe at the surface of the ground
where it enters the building at grade from freezing.