Posted to alt.home.repair
Pearl Diver

Default OT - Outdoor Gas Grill Problem

I'm having a problem with my 6 month old, propane, "BBQ Grillware" grill.
It worked fine until the cold weather set in. Here are the symptoms:

I have a spark from the ignitor and I can't light it with a match. So I
figure it is a gas problem.

The first time it happened I thought I was out of gas, so I changed the
tanks. With the new tank, the grill worked.

The next night, with that same new tank, it would not work again. I
thought... hmmm... "Maybe it has something to do with a cold tank!" I
switched the tank back to the original and it worked again!!! Boy... I
thought I was a genius... until it stopped working with both tanks, warm or
cold. :-(

What could be going on here? Regulator? Is there a way to check to see if
it is the regulator?

I apologize for posting off topic... you folks just seem to know everything!
;-)

Thanks...
--
PD

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

Don't have a real great answer but the new propane tanks (last 5 years
or so) have some sort of device in them that prevents "excessive flow"
& shutoff automaticaly.

I think they're supposed to shutoff for a broken supply line but i've
had problems with them just lighting up the BBQ; maybe I turned it on
too high to start.

Usually just shutting everything off & starting over gets the whole
thing working again.

IMO it's just another case of the gov't trying to save us from
ourselves, I like the old style tanks just fine.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"BobK207" wrote in message

Usually just shutting everything off & starting over gets the whole
thing working again.

IMO it's just another case of the gov't trying to save us from
ourselves, I like the old style tanks just fine.

Solves 99.9% of the gas problems caused by the new tanks. Once the level is
down, it is OK, but when near the top, open the gas valves slowly.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G.

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 17:02:46 -0500, "Pearl Diver"
wrote:

[...]

the regultor should have a vent (usually covered by a screen)...IF
that vent is not facing the ground so rain water, or snow/ice can
melt and drip off the vent it may be blocked....

Since most BBQ's use felxable hose to connect the regulator and the
tank it is possible that the regulator is sitting upside down and
could be closed by snow or ice...

Been there done that...