Posted to alt.home.repair
dean

Default Are double glazing windows really sealed?

Are they air tight? I mean, even after several years they still don't
get misted up inside, but I can't imagine how (with all the cold and
warm contractions and expansion) they ever manage not to leak somehow?
Am I missing some kind of magic here?

TIA!

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

dean wrote:
Are they air tight? I mean, even after several years they still don't
get misted up inside, but I can't imagine how (with all the cold and
warm contractions and expansion) they ever manage not to leak somehow?
Am I missing some kind of magic here?

No, you're not missing anything except more exposure (time) with the
windows. They don't last forever. If the seal fails, you'll get
fogging on the inside of the glass. The sealed units are usually
warrantied for five or ten years, although it is not unusual for sealed
units to last for twice that or more.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

dean wrote:
Are they air tight? I mean, even after several years they still don't
get misted up inside, but I can't imagine how (with all the cold and
warm contractions and expansion) they ever manage not to leak somehow?
Am I missing some kind of magic here?

TIA!

Dean

Yeah you are? You've missed trying to take the
panes apart. Suggest you try. They will leak
eventually, but sliders should last 15 or more
years. The old non movable Thermopane windows
easily last more than 35 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

They are air tight for a long time plus they have a drying agent in them to
suck up moisture for a while if they do leak.

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Are they air tight? I mean, even after several years they still don't
get misted up inside, but I can't imagine how (with all the cold and
warm contractions and expansion) they ever manage not to leak somehow?
Am I missing some kind of magic here?

TIA!

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair
Per Plexed

If, or rather when they do fog up, here is someone that can fix them without
having to replace the sealed window unit.

http://www.ccwwi.com/

Per

oups.com...