Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment,misc.consumers.house

Default Range Hood - Dual Fan better than Single?

I'm in the market for a new range hook to replace the broken one. The
current one is a single fan 60cm x 50cm (recirculate type, i.e.
non-ducted) fitted under the cupboard, naturally the replacement will
be the same size or else it won't fit.

I'm thinking of getting a dual fan model this time, but unsure if it
will make a huge difference considering there's no duct. On average,
the dual fan ones cost 50% more than the singles, is it worth to go for
a dual?

I'm also wondering if the range hook can be repaired. I can hear some
buzzing sound when I switch it on, but the fan isn't spinning. Perhaps
the motor is gone due to too much grease got into the fan (I can still
push it but it won't start). It's around 5 years old, maybe that's the
life span?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment,misc.consumers.house
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm in the market for a new range hook to replace the broken one. The
current one is a single fan 60cm x 50cm (recirculate type, i.e.
non-ducted) fitted under the cupboard, naturally the replacement will
be the same size or else it won't fit.

I'm thinking of getting a dual fan model this time, but unsure if it
will make a huge difference considering there's no duct. On average,
the dual fan ones cost 50% more than the singles, is it worth to go for
a dual?

I'm also wondering if the range hook can be repaired. I can hear some
buzzing sound when I switch it on, but the fan isn't spinning. Perhaps
the motor is gone due to too much grease got into the fan (I can still
push it but it won't start). It's around 5 years old, maybe that's the
life span?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Contact the manufacturer and find out if parts are still available. If they
are, and you can do the work yourself, it may be much cheaper than a new
fan. If you politely say that it seems strange for the thing to fail after
just 5 years, you might end up getting a little special treatment.

The reason for saving money on the repair is simple: Non-ducted hoods have
little or no value, except for directing steam away from the cabinets, which
may suffer over the years from the moisture.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment,misc.consumers.house
Pete C.

Doug Kanter wrote:

snipped

The reason for saving money on the repair is simple: Non-ducted hoods have
little or no value, except for directing steam away from the cabinets, which
may suffer over the years from the moisture.

The non-ducted hoods do more than just redirect steam, the metal mesh
"filter" is intended to collect vaporized grease which will otherwise
end up adhered to your cabinets.

Pete C.

Faucets: dual vs single handle - form vs function. A solution? Edwin Pawlowski Home Repair 15 September 19th 05 03:35 AM
Range hood question Sasha Home Repair 9 May 5th 05 05:29 PM
Cordless Drill: Dual Speed range? MIchael Jasper Home Repair 22 July 27th 03 02:59 AM