Posted to alt.home.repair
Eddie G

Default kitchen cabinet refacing

My wife and I are thinking of refacing our kitchen cabinets only
because they are pickled oak and we want to get hard wood floors and
can't think what color floor goes with the pickled oak cabinets. I
called a refacer for an estimate and he wanted over $12k!! We have 9
foot ceilings so the cabinets are the larger ones (48" I think) and we
have an island and a small cabinet over the frige. The rest of the
cabinets are the standard 10X10' L-shape.

Anyway, is 12K ridiculously high for refacing? At Home Depot they have
Thomasville cabinets for a standard 10x10 kitchen for 3k plus 1600 for
installation. I cannot see how adding an island and a small cabinet to
this, and making them 48", will make the cost that much more.

Needless to say we decided to keep the cabinets as they are, but I
still wanted to know about the refacing price and if that is normal.
The refacer would put 1/4 inch plywood over the existing cabinet before
putting on the laminate.

Thanks!!

Eddie G

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

Where are you located? $12K does seem high. I would assume thats all new
doors. Look at Rockler for DIY kits for doing this.
http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=69 They use pressure
sensitive veneer for the frames and then you put on all new matching doors.

"Eddie G" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

You might also find this article from Rockler useful:

"Updating Your Kitchen with Confidence"
http://www.rockler.com/articles/disp...fm?story_id=26

It talks specifically about the decision to update cabinets vs replace
them.