Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hanging Light Fixture to Ceiling without an Electrical Box

I've got a very lightweight (~4 lbs) light fixture that I'm attaching
to my ceiling. Currently, there is no overhead light in the room, and
thus, there's no existing electrical box. Further, I have no access to
the space above my ceiling (attic area), to go in and install a box.
I'm not worried about the power -- I'm running cable from the light to
a plug that I'll plug into the wall. I'm trying to find out what my
options are for securing the light fixture to the ceiling? Am unsure if
there are any braces between the joists in the ceiling, and I'm not
even sure of the spacing on the joists at this time. Assume I can use
a stud finder to locate any braces, and also determine my joist
spacing. What are my options?

Jason