barry martin

Default Ceiling light wiring ques

C Hi, I just bought a cool used hanging ceiling light fixture, but the
C wires coming out of the fixture are confusing. There are two covered
C wires and one naked copper one. I assume the copper wire is the
C ground, but the two other wires are both white. How can I tell which
C is connected to the house's hot wire, and which to neutral?

Yes, the naked copper one is the ground. Odd that both the other
wires are white, especially as there is a ground wire. What I would
do is take an ohm-meter, connect one lead to one of the white wires
and the other to the center contact of the fixture. If a connection
is made then this is your black wire.

(As two whites is a little unusual I'd double-check the two whites
aren't shorted together and there's a black wire hiding.)

C I've seen the reverse of this question here, where both house wires
C are the same color, and I know you'd use a voltage meter in that
C situation, but with no power to the light fixture, how can I be sure
C to hook it up correctly?

Black to ground should give 120vAC; white to ground should be near 0.

C Thanks for any help you can give me!

Will be interesting to read what the other have to say -- I've not
come across this one!

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that.
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *
Tom Postma

Hi Barry look closely at your white wires,one will probably have a black
thread in it,i have seen this before,connect this to your black.Tom

barry martin wrote:
=

[...]

=AF barry.martin=FEAT=FEthesafebbs.zeppole.com =AE
=

* Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that.
---
=FE RoseReader 2.52=E1 P003186
=FE The Safe BBS =FE Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
=FE RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *