Posted to alt.home.repair

Default oil boiler convert from power vent to chimney #2

My last thread got hijacked, so I am posting again...

I have a Weil-McLain boiler (5 years old) and it is vented with a power
vent and intakes combustion air from inside (basement).

I am installing a fireplace on the main level and will be building a
chase for the chimney on the outside of my house. I was thinking this
would be a good time to convert my power vent to a real chimney for
long term durability as I could share the chase with both chimneys. I
don't know if this is feasible though since my boiler is not located
real close to the location of the fireplace. The boiler vent would
have to go 6 feet horizontal, then right angle and another 12 feet
horizontal then vertical for 25ft chimney height. Of course when I say
horizontal, I mean it could go at an incline when it is horizontal. I
would have a professional do all of this, but was curious if this is
even possible, or would I screw up the drafting and cause
condensation/soot problems?

Trying to educate myself before I call the pros. I really don't like
the powervent due to noise/smell outside the house. I could build a
new chase right above the boiler just for the boiler vent, but that
would be more money and time...trying to avoid.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On 22 Dec 2005 06:13:11 -0800, wrote:

[...]

If the boiler is a total of 18 feet offsett from where you want the
fireplace, then I'd say, no it's not a good idea to try to share
the stack with the chimney. (Probably possible, but not a good idea)
I'd say either put the new fireplace closer to where the boiler is,
move the boiler, or use two stacks.

My personal preference would be to re-think where the fireplace
goes, and stick it on an interior wall, but your floor-plan
or budget may militate against that.

Non-modulating condensing boilers? Egremont UK diy 34 July 22nd 05 07:02 PM
Power Supply Repair fernando1222 Electronics Repair 0 June 7th 05 09:18 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Power Vent vs Chimney? Bret Home Repair 1 August 24th 04 02:54 AM
Need Help with Gas Boiler Vent Problem! Karen Home Repair 0 December 15th 03 03:05 AM