Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default oil boiler convert from power vent to chimney

I have a Weil-McLain boiler (5 years old) and it is vented with a power
vent and intakes combustion air from inside (basement).

I am installing a fireplace on the main level and will be building a
chase for the chimney on the outside of my house. I was thinking this
would be a good time to convert my power vent to a real chimney for
long term durability as I could share the chase with both chimneys. I
don't know if this is feasible though since my boiler is not located
real close to the location of the fireplace. The boiler vent would
have to go 6 feet horizontal, then right angle and another 12 feet
horizontal then vertical for 25ft chimney height. Of course when I say
horizontal, I mean it could go at an incline when it is horizontal. I
would have a professional do all of this, but was curious if this is
even possible, or would I screw up the drafting and cause
condensation/soot problems?

Trying to educate myself before I call the pros. I really don't like
the powervent due to noise/smell outside the house. I could build a
new chase right above the boiler just for the boiler vent, but that
would be more money and time...trying to avoid.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Dr. Hardcrab

"Steve Scott" wrote in message
20' run with at least one 90 and probably another one or two near the
boiler? I'd stay away from that. If this is an oil boiler you may be
able to go to sealed combustion with a different burner. That would
help the noise issue although a Tjernlund SS2 is about as quiet as a
Beckett burner.

Until the squirrel cage warps after a year's worth of use.....

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Noon-Air

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Consult the GAMA vent tables before you try to DIY, then call your local
building inspector and make sure that what your trying to do will meet code
requirements and pass the inspections.

Trying to educate myself before I call the pros. I really don't like
the powervent due to noise/smell outside the house. I could build a
new chase right above the boiler just for the boiler vent, but that
would be more money and time...trying to avoid.

Trying to avoid getting it done right..... Its gonna cost a *LOT* more in
the long run.

Get it done right the first time, and pay a little more up front, but save a
lot in the long run.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Victor H Plank

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"Steve Scott" wrote in message
20' run with at least one 90 and probably another one or two near the
boiler? I'd stay away from that. If this is an oil boiler you may be
able to go to sealed combustion with a different burner. That would
help the noise issue although a Tjernlund SS2 is about as quiet as a
Beckett burner.

Until the squirrel cage warps after a year's worth of use.....

I was considering using an SS-2 for a waste oil heater I am
installing....does this thing have inherent service problems? Literature on
waste oil heater (omni) says stack temp of 400 degress or less.

Thanks for the help

Vic

And a Merry Christmas to all

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Oscar_Lives

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

****, don't worry about it. You can save a little bit of money. The worst
thing that might happen is that you will blow up your house and kill your
family, or maybe gas them in their sleep with O2 gas.

It ain't rocket science.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Yeah, take this experts word on that. You don't want too much "O2 gas" in
your house. It isn't rocket science, but it does require at least an 8th
grade science class education.

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
CBHVAC

And you can take this to the bank, cause this homeowner below, knows all
about not making it past 8th grade....

If you had a clue, you would know it was a typo, and you would also know,
its not rocket science, but no one worth a damn is hiring anyone without a 4
year degree in the trade now.

"Iu" wrote in message ...
Yeah, take this experts word on that. You don't want too much "O2 gas" in
your house. It isn't rocket science, but it does require at least an 8th
grade science class education.

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

CB

STFU.

A typo is something like "their for there" or a misspelling. Typing O2 vs.
CO takes some effort, and severe lack of knowledge.

Just because it took you 4 years to finish the 2 year tech school "course of
study" does not make it a 4 year degree. That requires accreditation, and a
lot more book learning that you grease monkeys could handle.

"Iu" wrote in message ...
Yeah, take this experts word on that. You don't want too much "O2 gas"
in your house. It isn't rocket science, but it does require at least an
8th grade science class education.

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
CBHVAC

"Iu" wrote in message ...
CB

STFU.

A typo is something like "their for there" or a misspelling. Typing O2
vs. CO takes some effort, and severe lack of knowledge.

Just because it took you 4 years to finish the 2 year tech school "course
of study" does not make it a 4 year degree. That requires accreditation,
and a lot more book learning that you grease monkeys could handle.

HA
Actually, its easy to miss a key, but thats ok..Im sure you know about CO2
and how easy it CAN be to leave a key out by accident.
And Bud..no..I had a 4 year apprenticeship program that was designed to
train business owners, and I took the repair part, learned it, and took the
**** the homeowner part and threw it away, but you would have known that if
you paid attention.
Im this case, Im sure you work for someone, while I have those that work for
me, and I have news for ya, Oscar either baited you, or he typoed. either
way, you went for it hook line and sinker.

Now..who needs to shut the **** up?

Oh..yea..that would be you.

"Iu" wrote in message ...
Yeah, take this experts word on that. You don't want too much "O2 gas"
in your house. It isn't rocket science, but it does require at least an
8th grade science class education.

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

You are borderline illiterate, it must be a treat to work for you.

What the hell are you talking about? Now your rambling on about CO2, I
would be most concerned with CO. Notice the ONE OXYGEN, not TWO. Its one
of the products of incomplete combustion, CO2 would be the next stage. But
you probably learned all about that during your 4 years of intensive
training on how to own a business. Funny because it only took me an my
partner 10 minutes to file the papers, and boom we were incorporated.

Back to your literacy problem....what the **** does this mean?

"Im this case, Im sure you work for someone, while I have those that work
for me, and I have news for ya, Oscar either baited you, or he typoed."

I've read it 20 times, and I cannot imagine what little thought you were
trying to convey? Are those commas supposed to be periods? Are they
complete thoughts? Let's take a stab at trying to punctuate this sentence
for the CB Moron:

I'm this case. I'm sure [that] you work for someone, while I have those
that work for me. I have news for you. Oscar either baited you, or he
typoed.

I give up trying to fix that babbling. Are you trying to say that since
you apparently own some hack residential screw-shop slapping in Goodmans,
that makes you the expert on what Oscar meant when he warned of the dangers
of oxygen being in the house? Or somehow Oscar has devised a plan to trap
the unsuspecting newsgroup reader into responding to his ignorance?

I actually wasted my time on a real four year bachelors of science degree in
mechanical engineering from an accredited university along with a
Professional Engineering license, when I could have gotten one of those
highly coveted diplomas from the college of 4 YEAR APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM
DESIGNED TO TRAIN BUSINESS OWNERS.

I did take some time to review your posting history. I have yet to find a
meaningful contribution by you on any subject related to HV or C. It's just
a bunch of posturing. It seems that you are really scared of the homeowners
of the world revolting and figuring out that they really don't need the
likes of you.

By the way, doing a load calc and picking a furnace matched with a condenser
and coil is not Rocket Surgery at all, and its embarrassing to have people
like you act like it is. I've designed 20 story buildings, with air
handlers in the millions of CFM, chiller rooms, steam plants, etc. That's a
2-year design task, something I wouldn't recommend an average homeowner do.
But to figure out the U value of 4 walls and a few windows, just about
anybody with any math skills can do that.

It's because people like you consider themselves experts that I am as
wealthy as I am, and will never run out of work.

I anticipate your reply after you sober up enough to get up off the trailer
floor and log back onto your WebTV account. Hopefully you won't sleep so
long that your mom will be watching her soaps when you get up. Then, please
will you STFU.

Is this piece of **** yours? http://www.carolinabreezehvac.com Did you have
some 7th graders design it for a class project? Pick a freaking font
already, its as scatterbrained as you are.

"Iu" wrote in message ...
Yeah, take this experts word on that. You don't want too much "O2 gas"
in your house. It isn't rocket science, but it does require at least
an 8th grade science class education.

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
CBHVAC

It means, you got baited again, and are just stupid enough to fall for it.

And btw....Goodman is a millionares dream come true....but no..if you had
half a brain, you would know what we install.
Sorry your job at Mcdonalds where you dream of getting to the fryer wont
allow you to buy one.

Any more flames you wanna be baited on to see how you really are?

Hint..this is another one.

"Iu" wrote in message ...
Yeah, take this experts word on that. You don't want too much "O2
gas" in your house. It isn't rocket science, but it does require at
least an 8th grade science class education.

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Red Neckerson

"Iu" wrote in message ...
Who baited who? SMACK

Nice comeback with the McDonald's reference.

PUNCH

Shut the **** up, fry-boy.....

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Oscar_Lives

"Iu" wrote in message ...
CB

STFU.

A typo is something like "their for there" or a misspelling. Typing O2
vs. CO takes some effort, and severe lack of knowledge.

Just because it took you 4 years to finish the 2 year tech school "course
of study" does not make it a 4 year degree. That requires accreditation,
and a lot more book learning that you grease monkeys could handle.

I would sure as hell rather entrust the comfort and safety of my family to
CB instead of a self-assured booger-picker like you.

You seem very threatened that someone like CB who is highly respected and
regularly turns down additional good-paying work to enjoy his luxuries in
life has more useful, real-world skills than you do.

Maybe you do OK spending years behind a T-square making sketches of your
building (and then giving them to the 2-year college CAD technician to
correct and finish), but I do sense a scared little man behind your
nit-picking self-appointed USENET spelling bee enforcement mission.

I'll bet it really bugs you that the technicians you work with all hate your
pompus ass guts and they won't include you in their daily fun. You know you
want to have friends too, and you want to gain their respect, but you can't
get that obvious degree pedestal out of your ass.

Just goes to prove that respect is EARNED and not purchased.

"Iu" wrote in message ...
Yeah, take this experts word on that. You don't want too much "O2 gas"
in your house. It isn't rocket science, but it does require at least an
8th grade science class education.

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Stormin Mormon

My sense is that it won't vent very well with that long of a run.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Bob

I've worked on thousands and thousands of oil burners. I've seen several
smoke pipes installed down hill and I once saw one over 40 ft. (pitched
properly), and they worked fine. There are a few things you need to be
careful of.
1) Make sure the chimney flue liner is sized properly. Do not oversize it. 8
x 8 covers most Weil-McLain residential boilers.
2) Make sure the chimney is high enough above the peak of the house, and not
obstructed by trees.
3) Make sure the smoke pipe goes up hill. 1/4" per ft. is good. If the
boiler is convertible from a top flue to rear flue, put the smoke pipe off
the top if you have enough pitch. If not, put it off the back. The pitch is
the more important of the two.
4) Do not 'bull-head' the draft regulator.

The 25 ft. vertical chimney is going to help (not hinder) the draft, as long
as the chimney is warm and dry, you should be ok.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Bubba

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 18:03:03 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

I've worked on thousands and thousands of oil burners.

Thousands and Thousands? Do the math. I dont think so.

I've seen several
smoke pipes installed down hill and I once saw one over 40 ft. (pitched
properly), and they worked fine. There are a few things you need to be
careful of.

40ft horizontal Im assuming? Id like to see that one.

1) Make sure the chimney flue liner is sized properly. Do not oversize it. 8
x 8 covers most Weil-McLain residential boilers.

Quite a bold, blank, rule of thumb statement that can quickly get you
into trouble.

2) Make sure the chimney is high enough above the peak of the house, and not
obstructed by trees.

High enough? Whats that mean?
Obstructed by trees????

3) Make sure the smoke pipe goes up hill. 1/4" per ft. is good. If the
boiler is convertible from a top flue to rear flue, put the smoke pipe off
the top if you have enough pitch. If not, put it off the back. The pitch is
the more important of the two.
4) Do not 'bull-head' the draft regulator.

Smoke pipe? You mean the flue pipe? Most new residential oil burners
burn at a "0" or "trace" smoke which would be impossible to see smoke
coming out of the flue pipe so you could hardly call it a smoke pipe.

Draft regulator? Would you by chance be talking about the barometric
damper?

The 25 ft. vertical chimney is going to help (not hinder) the draft, as long
as the chimney is warm and dry, you should be ok.

.............and without holes or...............trees. :-)
Bubba

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Oscar_Lives

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

So you know a lot more than the NFPA?

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
CBHVAC

The following below, is a prime example of a post by someone you do NOT want
working on your units.
Looks good (to a layman) sounds good (to a layman), and is total bull****.

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

oups.com...