Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Oscar_Lives

Default oil boiler convert from power vent to chimney

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Weil-McLain boiler (5 years old) and it is vented with a power
vent and intakes combustion air from inside (basement).

I am installing a fireplace on the main level and will be building a
chase for the chimney on the outside of my house. I was thinking this
would be a good time to convert my power vent to a real chimney for
long term durability as I could share the chase with both chimneys. I
don't know if this is feasible though since my boiler is not located
real close to the location of the fireplace. The boiler vent would
have to go 6 feet horizontal, then right angle and another 12 feet
horizontal then vertical for 25ft chimney height. Of course when I say
horizontal, I mean it could go at an incline when it is horizontal. I
would have a professional do all of this, but was curious if this is
even possible, or would I screw up the drafting and cause
condensation/soot problems?

Trying to educate myself before I call the pros. I really don't like
the powervent due to noise/smell outside the house. I could build a
new chase right above the boiler just for the boiler vent, but that
would be more money and time...trying to avoid.

Thanks.

****, don't worry about it. You can save a little bit of money. The worst
thing that might happen is that you will blow up your house and kill your
family, or maybe gas them in their sleep with O2 gas.

It ain't rocket science.