Posted to alt.home.repair
WM

Default Squirrel Proofing my Pecan Trees

First, hurricane Rita wiped out most of my pecan crop. Then all the
squirrels from the neighborhood wiped out the rest. So, I'm ready to
start the process of protecting my next years crop. Killing them all
is not an option so I need a plan.

Naturally, I'm going to trim back all the lower limbs so they can't
jump from the house or the fence into the trees. My tree trunks are
3 feet from the corner of the fence, so I need to wrap all the lower
trunks in a slick material that prevents them from climbing the pecan
trees. And I don't want to damage my trees.

What material do I use to wrap the trunks in?

WM

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan C

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 19:32:03 +0000, WM wrote:

What material do I use to wrap the trunks in?

Flypaper.

Linux Registered User #327951

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Dan C" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 19:32:03 +0000, WM wrote:

What material do I use to wrap the trunks in?

Flypaper.

Linux Registered User #327951

Hope you don't have those genius squirrels that can complete a 20 step
obstacle course to get to food. Flypaper seems too narrow but be anything
but a one day annoyance. They do make a similar sticky wrap for gypsy moth
(larva) trapping but that probably wouldn't work either.

Try some aluminum foil smeared with Vaseline and capsaicin (red hot chili
pepper powder) or another repellant. Once they learn they taste bad and are
slippery they will be able to spot them from far away and leave your trees
alone.

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/cap2000.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

WM wrote:

Naturally, I'm going to trim back all the lower limbs so they can't
jump from the house or the fence into the trees. My tree trunks are
3 feet from the corner of the fence, so I need to wrap all the lower
trunks in a slick material that prevents them from climbing the pecan
trees. And I don't want to damage my trees.

What material do I use to wrap the trunks in?

WM

Sheet metal or stove pipe. You can even try coating the very top with
petroleum jelly, just in case. The critical part will be the seam.
That would be the only place where they might get a toe hold if you're
sloppy.

Remember, squirrels can jump higher than you might think. Four feet of
sheet metal probably wouldn't be enough, for example. Trapping and
drowning wouldn't hurt, either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Remember, squirrels can jump higher than you might think. Four feet of
sheet metal probably wouldn't be enough, for example.

Eight feet minimum. Maybe even ten.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Kearney

smeared with Vaseline and capsaicin (red hot chili
pepper powder) or another repellant. Once they learn they taste bad and

are
slippery they will be able to spot them from far away and leave your trees
alone.

I hang a hummingbird feeder on the sheppard's hook, smearing it with
vaseline mixed with hot sauce worked great. Actually saw one of the
*******s try climbing it. Got about halfway up, jumped off, licked paws and
RAN LIKE HELL. Damned vermin.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rush Limballs

Lead, .22 caliber
"z" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:

Remember, squirrels can jump higher than you might think. Four feet of
sheet metal probably wouldn't be enough, for example.

Eight feet minimum. Maybe even ten.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Miller

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/living/tree_squirrels.htm

Scroll down about 2/3 the way down the page, theres 2 diagrams for
making tree guards.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TURTLE

WM wrote:
First, hurricane Rita wiped out most of my pecan crop. Then all the
squirrels from the neighborhood wiped out the rest. So, I'm ready to
start the process of protecting my next years crop. Killing them all
is not an option so I need a plan.

Naturally, I'm going to trim back all the lower limbs so they can't
jump from the house or the fence into the trees. My tree trunks are
3 feet from the corner of the fence, so I need to wrap all the lower
trunks in a slick material that prevents them from climbing the pecan
trees. And I don't want to damage my trees.

What material do I use to wrap the trunks in?

WM

This is Turtle.

i tried to google it but could not find it . the electric Power company
have them on poles on the 10,000 volt service poles and they are pretty
good at stopping a squirrel from going up the pole. it is about a 5
foot ring the surround the pole with a flate sheet metal pipe and then
a 3 foor extention ring that comes out about 2 feet made of slick ass
sheet metal or steel. this Extenion will look like a mushroom shape
about middle ways of the cover pipe of the trunk of the tree. I would
say this that a squirrel would not go by this stop stuff they have. He
would have to just go around this thing by another way.

TURTLE

Oil/Pellet Stoves? Bill LaFleur Home Ownership 285 November 18th 04 09:33 PM
ASH TREES Are Rapidly Dying LP Woodworking 28 October 2nd 04 05:59 AM
Pecan Trees Bruce Woodworking 1 September 3rd 04 10:23 AM
Problem: Squirrel in Fireplace Insert! Bob Chilcoat Metalworking 42 January 26th 04 07:56 AM