Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Default What would be a decent set of 'loaner-tools'?

May I suggest a different approach?

"You did not bring back the first tool I loaned you. As such, I will not
loan you any other tools."

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I moved into my house a year or so ago, and the neighbors are starting
to notice the tools on the peg-board, tool chests, etc in the garage.

So one comes over a few days ago to borrow an 8mm wrench, the first one
I could find was a nice Kobalt (the kind made by a company owned by
Snap-On Williams?), now made by ????)...

Well, you know the story, he can't remember where he put it, yada,
yada, yada...

So my question is, what would be a half-way decent (non-dangerous,
don't want to get sued if the tool breaks) set of 'loaner' tools? Or
should I be a pri$k, and not loan out tools period?

My Dad is a 'Craftsman' man, and I will inherit a sweet set of
'40s-'50s Craftsman tools someday, but for the least amount of outlay,
what would be a safe and decent set of 'no-tears' tools if they get
borrowed or lost? Can I trust a Harbor Freight set, or should I snatch
up a Craftsman set on sale?

I will get a cheap tool chest to put them in, keep that ONE unlocked,
and pretty much let the neighbors help themselves when they ask to
borrow a tool...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Be their handyman at $25 an hour, including your tools which you bring home
at the end of the day.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks, I will check out the Pittsburgh brand.

I mentioned neighbors, but I also have 3 brother-in-laws who I think
have a couple screwdrivers and a handful of sockets (but no socket
wrench) between them, sigh.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary Dyrkacz

On 20 Dec 2005 20:22:27 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in
:

Jim Yanik, 12/20/2005, 11:25:19 AM,
wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in
:

Your neighbor misplaced one tool and now you want to buy a set of
tools so you can loan those out? Does this neighbor have a history
of not giving back tools? If so, then he cannot be trusted with
your dog or mail either. If this is a rare occassion then you are
being awfully tough on this fellow. Why not just forgive him and
let it go this time? The next time he wants to borrow a tool joke
with him about giving his car keys to you for collateral.

Joke,hell,no. No keys,no tool loan.
Although there's still the matter of getting it back *in good
condition*,IOW,working.

You cut out the main point I was making:
"He'll get the message and will either change his mind or be extra
careful with it."

Some people NEVER get the message,or deliberately ignore it.

My guess would be someone who has not already offered to buy a
replacement, automatically would fit into the "never get the message"
category.

Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn/
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

Gary Dyrkacz wrote in
:

On 20 Dec 2005 20:22:27 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in
:

Jim Yanik, 12/20/2005, 11:25:19 AM,
wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in
:

[...]

also,the "no more borrowing" category,AFAI'm concerned.

A guy I worked with,I knew he was a tool abuser,and he wanted to borrow my
personal set of small taps and dies.I showed him where the shop set was,and
a few minutes later,he had broken off the tap in the workpiece.So,he puts
the broken piece back in the case,and does not bother to tell the shipping
clerk (with the company credit card) to buy a replacement.The next
time,there was no tap for him to use,and he comes back to me. I told him he
should have bought a new one when he broke the last one,and asked him why
he put the BROKEN piece back in the box.
(I kept some of my own tools because of this guy and another who didn't put
them back where they belonged,and/or abused them to the point of
uselessness.Of course,they had a "problem" with that,I wasn't a "team
player",etc.The usual whiny PC BS.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik