Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry

Default How to wire a switch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From: "rile"
Subject: Easy wiring question
Date: Saturday, December 10, 2005 6:29 AM

I am going to wire a new room in a basement. There will be a dedicated
circuit for it. I want to have a switch to control wall lighting but
not control the wall outlets. Do I have to split the circuit before
the switch to do this or is there another easy way?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It's hard to judge; but if someone has ask a question as basic as this; it
is strongly (and respectfully) suggested "get a competent electrician" or do
it yourselfer to do it with you!

It would be quite possible to answer this, in good faith, for it to be
misunderstood and for the OP to end up with something unsafe, miswired, not
in accordance with electrical codes that would be rejected by their home
insurance company.

We've seen so many posts here along the lines of "I wired up the lights in
my .............. When I throw the switch ................ the lights go
dim/don't come on etc. etc. etc." Possibly circuits with switches in the
neutral lead, fixtures/boxes not properly grounded (e.g. what's the bare
wire for??????) Also: Circuit works but one suspects the circuit is actually
using the ground conductor to carry current etc. etc.

This not be uncooperative. Just recommend safety.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

.. .

From: "rile"
Date: Saturday, December 10, 2005 6:29 AM

I am going to wire a new room in a basement. There will be a dedicated
circuit for it. I want to have a switch to control wall lighting but
not control the wall outlets. Do I have to split the circuit before
the switch to do this or is there another easy way?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It's hard to judge; but if someone has ask a question as basic as this; it
is strongly (and respectfully) suggested "get a competent electrician" or
do it yourselfer to do it with you!

Taking it a step further, how is the circuit laid out? Do you want the
lights to go out when you plug in something and the breaker trips? You'd
want two circuits down there, not just one.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus

I am going to wire a new room in a basement. There will be a
dedicated circuit for it. I want to have a switch to control wall
lighting but not control the wall outlets. Do I have to split the
circuit before the switch to do this or is there another easy way?

That really is so basic you probably are not the person who should be doing
this. Get a pro or find a friend with some wiring experience to help you.
At the very least get a good DIY wiring book, study it, and then leave
everything open with switches and receptacles hanging out (unpowered) and
let someone knowledgable look it over before you push them into the boxes.
Surely you will know someone with at least a little know-how.

If you are actually going to add a breaker to the panel yourself be aware
that if you open it parts of it will still be hot even with the main
breaker turned off. This is really not for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

.. .

From: "rile"
Date: Saturday, December 10, 2005 6:29 AM

[...]

Try a Web search:

http://www.indepthinfo.com/wire-switch/index.shtml

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie Bress

"Steve Kraus" wrote in message
ink.net...
If you are actually going to add a breaker to the panel yourself be aware
that if you open it parts of it will still be hot even with the main
breaker turned off. This is really not for you.

Yeah, my usual advice is simple.

If you do not know what you are doing, don't do it.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Rich256 wrote:

.. .

From: "rile"
Date: Saturday, December 10, 2005 6:29 AM

[...]

Hi,
Reading the question, it'd be better if he did not do the wiring.
First I wouldn't feed light fixtures and wall outlets from one
circuit.(is it OK on code?)
Worst case of doing something improper is fire, electrocution, death.
And insurance won't cover it if they found out.
Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus

I don't know what the Code says nowadays either. But it certainly *can* be
done safely especially if we are only talking about a couple of fixtures
drawing maybe 1 or 2 A a piece.

If this new room has several outlets on different walls I think it would be
more useful to put some of them on one circuit and the others plus the
light fixtures on another circuit rather than fixtures on one, outlets on
another. But, again, I don't know what the Code's opinion is. My way
gives the room more practical ampacity plus if you do trip a circuit the
entire room doesn't go dark.

Disclaimer: Opinion only
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 00:48:43 GMT, Steve Kraus
wrote:

I don't know what the Code says nowadays either. But it certainly *can* be
done safely especially if we are only talking about a couple of fixtures
drawing maybe 1 or 2 A a piece.

If this new room has several outlets on different walls I think it would be
more useful to put some of them on one circuit and the others plus the
light fixtures on another circuit rather than fixtures on one, outlets on
another. But, again, I don't know what the Code's opinion is. My way
gives the room more practical ampacity plus if you do trip a circuit the
entire room doesn't go dark.

But trip the other one and it does. You could divide the light
fixtures too.

Disclaimer: Opinion only

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tellmeaboutit

What about after he sells the house and some future owner wants to plus his
Plasma TV into it while having lights on at the same time? This is why we
have a building code, houses outlive owners unless they're wired
incorrectly. Then it's a toss-up.

"Steve Kraus" wrote in message
ink.net...
I don't know what the Code says nowadays either. But it certainly *can* be
done safely especially if we are only talking about a couple of fixtures
drawing maybe 1 or 2 A a piece.

If this new room has several outlets on different walls I think it would
be
more useful to put some of them on one circuit and the others plus the
light fixtures on another circuit rather than fixtures on one, outlets on
another. But, again, I don't know what the Code's opinion is. My way
gives the room more practical ampacity plus if you do trip a circuit the
entire room doesn't go dark.

Disclaimer: Opinion only

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus

What about after he sells the house and some future owner wants to
plus his Plasma TV into it while having lights on at the same time?

I don't know what the draw is on a plasma TV but for sake of discussion
if it's over about 10A or so it probably needs a dedicated single outlet
circuit of its own. The planned arrangement per the OP has more than
one outlet on the circuit and that would be inadequate for such a high
draw item whether the fixtures are on that circuit or not. In reality of
course no changes would be made unless there were frequent nuisance
trips. If another outlet on the same circuit has a powerful home theatre
audio system plugged into it that will likely be the case. But if the
2nd outlet is just running a floor lamp then probably not. In that case
it would make little difference in a practical sense if instead of a
floor lamp it was a permanent fixture.

This is why we have a building code, houses outlive owners unless
they're wired incorrectly. Then it's a toss-up.

Yes but we're still talking about wiring protected by breakers that trip
on overloads.

I grew up mostly in a house that had, besides the dedicated circuits for
the fridge & washer outlet, A/C, garbage disposer, kitchen counter
outlets, and later a garage circuit (the dryer being Main #2 by itself)
just 2 circuits: One for the living room and one taking care of all
three bedrooms and two bathrooms. And this was not an ancient house
either...circa 1957. So by comparison any provision of individual
circuits for different rooms or multiple circuits for different sets of
outlets in the same room would be a great improvement (not that we had
that many trips). A circuit just for a couple of sconces sounds
downright luxurious; necessary if the Code requires it but IMHO hardly a
necessity if it does not.

Disclaimer: Opinion only.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 10:41:45 -0330, "Terry"

From: "rile"
Date: Saturday, December 10, 2005 6:29 AM

[...]

If you dont know how to wire a switch, I highly recommend getting an
electrician, or at least some friend or relative that knows something
about wiring. I'm just being honest, because if you dont know basic
wiring, you are likely to get electricuted or cause a fire hazzard.
However, if you really want to learn to DIY, get some books on wiring
and learn all the basics. Then find someone that has done wiring and
have them assist you.