Posted to alt.home.repair
John

Default Fireplace problem

I have a fireplace that in the middle of the room. The front and back are open.
When I start a fire there smoke creeps out into the room from the back. A rooftop
fan helps be is quite noisy.

I've been considering covering the back opening with glass. What kind of glass is
available and I should be asking?
Posted to alt.home.repair
yourname

John wrote:
I have a fireplace that in the middle of the room. The front and back are open.
When I start a fire there smoke creeps out into the room from the back. A rooftop
fan helps be is quite noisy.

I've been considering covering the back opening with glass. What kind of glass is
available and I should be asking?

yup, need to lower the open area.....tempered, or I think my gas
fireplace has something fancier......how bout ust a couple of those
glass fireplace screens from the Home Despot....
Posted to alt.home.repair
duffduff

Did you try opening a window ? With my fireplace I always open a window at
the beginning to change the pressure so the smoke goes tru the cheminy
instead of going all over the room

"John" wrote in message
news
I have a fireplace that in the middle of the room. The front and back are
open.
When I start a fire there smoke creeps out into the room from the back. A
rooftop
fan helps be is quite noisy.

I've been considering covering the back opening with glass. What kind of
glass is
available and I should be asking?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

John wrote:
I have a fireplace that in the middle of the room. The front and back are open.
When I start a fire there smoke creeps out into the room from the back. A rooftop
fan helps be is quite noisy.

I've been considering covering the back opening with glass. What kind of glass is
available and I should be asking?

In addition to the others, it helps to hold a burning newspaper up at
the top to help warm the chimney, just drop it before it burns your
hand.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
PolyMorf

Harry K wrote:
John wrote:
I have a fireplace that in the middle of the room. The front and
back are open. When I start a fire there smoke creeps out into the
room from the back. A rooftop fan helps be is quite noisy.

I've been considering covering the back opening with glass. What
kind of glass is available and I should be asking?

In addition to the others, it helps to hold a burning newspaper up at
the top to help warm the chimney, just drop it before it burns your
hand.

Harry K

If the flue is unusually cold and I really feel the cold downdraft,
I put a ceramic heater in the firebox for 30 - 40 minutes to warm it up.
Then I hold rolled up newspaper near the flue to get the updraft started.

Regards,

Harry

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tomes

If the flue is unusually cold and I really feel the cold downdraft,
I put a ceramic heater in the firebox for 30 - 40 minutes to warm it up.
Then I hold rolled up newspaper near the flue to get the updraft started.

Regards,

Harry

I have this problem at times as well. When the chimney is cold the cold air
just rushes down. What I have been doing with mixed success is using a lot
of tinder to get a hot fire going very fast to just minimize the amount of
smoke that comes in the room (and I also open a door already too). I like
this idea of using a heater to combat and reverse the airflow prior to
lighting and I will try this. But once the heater does its thing, why still
the need to wave the burning newspaper?
Tomes

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard Thoms

Tomes wrote:
If the flue is unusually cold and I really feel the cold downdraft,
I put a ceramic heater in the firebox for 30 - 40 minutes to warm it up.
Then I hold rolled up newspaper near the flue to get the updraft started.

Regards,

Harry

I have the same problem from time to time. I've found that if I turn
off my central heating system that it seems to help. I think when the
system is running it makes for just a slight vacuum in the house that
allows the air want to flow down the chimney. After the fire is going I
turn the system back on again and no problem.

-Richard