Posted to alt.home.repair
Abhijit Dey

Default Replace / repair garage door sections?

We had a small accident.. my wife was in big hurry to get out of the
garage, and she started backing the car from within the garage as the
door was still opening. The door opened enough for the rear of the car
to get out, but the power antenna caught the garage door and broke. Once
we had the car back in, we noticed the following damages
1) Some of the rollers had come off the tracks
2) The metal string (?) has come off the pulley on one side of the door,
causing the door to be hanging in a tilted position (torsion spring
mechanism at the top/middle of the door).

With the help of a friend, I have managed to fix both of the above -
friend had some knowledge about how to work the torsion spring).
HOWEVER, now I notice cracks on 3 of the 4 sections of the door - about
2 inches long.. near where the sections curl up and meet each other.
This must have happened when the door was unbalanced (one side pully
working and the other side hanging by it's own weight).. maybe something
else, like the impact).

Now how do I fix these cracks? I am not much good at welding / brazing
and I have already messed up the paint near one of the cracks (about
2"x2" area) trying to braze it. Is this repairable? Or must I replace
all sections of the door? The rest of the door seems structurally just
fine.. auto opener works - everything is ok. But the sections now have
cracks! 8 (

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

It sounds like there's more to that story, but I won't go there.

Personally I would recommend that you replace the sections since they
will continue to flex back & forth each time the door is used.
Therefore the cracks will get bigger until the door bows so much they
will buckle & may even come out of the track.

While you could brace the inside of the door to prolong it's use the
cracks will be difficult if not impossible to repair. As you have
discovered any type of welding is going to burn the heck out of the
paint.

Doordoc

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Check the yellow pages to see if there is a Wayne Dalton store near you.
THey make great doors and service all brands and I've always found them to
be reliable. Their IDrive opener is particularly neat since it fits above
the door instead of in the middle of the ceiling. Lowes sells them too but
WD stores will probably sell and install it for less or fix the old door if
possible.

"Abhijit Dey" wrote in message
It sounds like there's more to that story, but I won't go there.

LOL. No really - no more to that story 8o)

Personally I would recommend that you replace the sections since they
will continue to flex back & forth each time the door is used.
Therefore the cracks will get bigger until the door bows so much they
will buckle & may even come out of the track.

While you could brace the inside of the door to prolong it's use the
cracks will be difficult if not impossible to repair. As you have
discovered any type of welding is going to burn the heck out of the
paint.

Great. Since I have no idea how the garage door industry works, I can use
some guidance. I am in Chicago suburbs - Naperville area. What would be
the best way to find some reputable contractor to do this? Where can I buy
the sections? Home Depot? Lowes etc..

Basically, just trying not to get ripped off by some garage contractor..
so can really use some education, do's/don'ts etc. Any cost estimates?
It's a regular 16x7 feet sectional door.

Thanks doordoc!

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

How could a car power antenna cause all this damage to the garage
door?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Abhijit Dey

BobK207 wrote:
How could a car power antenna cause all this damage to the garage
door?

Good question. When I heard the crashing sound coming from the garage, I
ran over there and found the following.
1) Garage door halfway open
2) Car antenna bent
3) Car now back fully inside garage.

I am sure the back of the car (or the bumper) didn't hit the door as
there is no damage to the car except the antenna.

I didn't pay much attention to the door at this point.. it looked okay
at first look. Then I ran the auto opener to open the door fully - and
the fun started.

The door opened, but some of the rollers came off of the track, and the
door was partially "hanging". When I tried to close it (manually), it
would not come down all the way, with one side of the door not level
with the other side. At this point I noticed, that the right hand side
string is off the pully.

(Read my first post to learn what I did to "fix" the door somewhat)

So, yeah - not sure what caused what.. but this is the best I can figure
out.

So, any ideas on how I can go about fixing the damage in a economical &
sensible way? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

It sounds like all the problems are related to moving the door,
not the surface condition of the panels.

It sounds like the door uses coil torsion springs to carry the
load. These are large springs wound around a heavy steel bar
mounted on the wall just above the door. THESE ARE
DANGEROUS!!!!!!!

There is a steel cable that goes down each side of the door and
coils on a drum at the ends of the heavy steel bar. It sounds
like the cable has jumped or the drum is out of time. THIS THING
IS DANGEROUS!!!!!!!

The best thing to do would be to hire a local professional to
reset the door. If you insist on trying, you might study this
site:
http://truetex.com/garage.htm

(top posted for your convenience)
Keep the whole world singing . . . .