Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Default Replace / repair garage door sections?

Check the yellow pages to see if there is a Wayne Dalton store near you.
THey make great doors and service all brands and I've always found them to
be reliable. Their IDrive opener is particularly neat since it fits above
the door instead of in the middle of the ceiling. Lowes sells them too but
WD stores will probably sell and install it for less or fix the old door if
possible.

"Abhijit Dey" wrote in message
It sounds like there's more to that story, but I won't go there.

LOL. No really - no more to that story 8o)

Personally I would recommend that you replace the sections since they
will continue to flex back & forth each time the door is used.
Therefore the cracks will get bigger until the door bows so much they
will buckle & may even come out of the track.

While you could brace the inside of the door to prolong it's use the
cracks will be difficult if not impossible to repair. As you have
discovered any type of welding is going to burn the heck out of the
paint.

Great. Since I have no idea how the garage door industry works, I can use
some guidance. I am in Chicago suburbs - Naperville area. What would be
the best way to find some reputable contractor to do this? Where can I buy
the sections? Home Depot? Lowes etc..

Basically, just trying not to get ripped off by some garage contractor..
so can really use some education, do's/don'ts etc. Any cost estimates?
It's a regular 16x7 feet sectional door.

Thanks doordoc!